Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you check for spark on a 2000 xj?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you check for spark on a 2000 xj?

Never worked on one without spark plug wires but I'm assuming you cant just pull the plug as you would an engine with a dizzy. can't get my heep to fire (at least it turns over)

also, after i crank it for a few seconds the check engine light comes on, stays on for maybe 5 seconds after I turn the key back but there are no stored or active codes in the computer.
    1992 xj Briarwood
    Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
    Welded front and rear
    13' LED roof lights
    Disco ball
    Truck nuts
    Spinners

douse yourself with water. grab the coil pack and have someone turn it over. see if you get shocked or not.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
      douse yourself with water. grab the coil pack and have someone turn it over. see if you get shocked or not.
      LOL...I did that once, except I was holding the sparkplug wire.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
        LOL...I did that once, except I was holding the sparkplug wire.
        that happened to me last night trying to figure why mine was miss-firing, holy balls was that shocking.
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Yeah, caught me off guard too. Clearly that insulation around the wires only does so much.
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

so................?
            1992 xj Briarwood
            Welded front and rear
            13' LED roof lights
            Disco ball
            Truck nuts
            Spinners

Comment

Ya ive grabbed the coil wire and it felt like i was kicked in the chest and back. Im sure i posted about it on here haha. My heart hurt for a good half hour

Comment

lol. go to a parts store, rent a spark tester from the loaner tools, hook it to whatever one you gotta check and have a buddy turn over the motor. I pull the fuel pump relay, so the motor doesnt turn on running down a cylinder (but thats cause i have an ancient spark tester). The better testers you can put in line between the wire and the plug, thats your best bet.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

he has coil on plug though. and its one big long pack like a fuel rail cant really just pull to test one... my best advise hahaha..... i got none...... go buy an older xj
                  #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

Unbolt coil pack and pull back for some room. Grab an old spark plug, or one from the engine and push it into the coil pack, start with cylinder 1. Grab a jumper wire with alligator clips and connect one end of the jumper on the threads of the spark plug and connect the other end of the jumper on the negative of the battery or a good ground somewhere.
                    Have someone turn it over and watch for sparky

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
                      he has coil on plug though. and its one big long pack like a fuel rail cant really just pull to test one... my best advise hahaha..... i got none...... go buy an older xj
                      well at least you understand my issue, got an answer over on NAXJA and I have a 96 which this one SHOULD be replacing
                      1992 xj Briarwood
                      Welded front and rear
                      13' LED roof lights
                      Disco ball
                      Truck nuts
                      Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
                        he has coil on plug though
                        ahhhh reading the O.P. probably woulda helped there
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                          Unbolt coil pack and pull back for some room. Grab an old spark plug, or one from the engine and push it into the coil pack, start with cylinder 1. Grab a jumper wire with alligator clips and connect one end of the jumper on the threads of the spark plug and connect the other end of the jumper on the negative of the battery or a good ground somewhere.
                          Have someone turn it over and watch for sparky
                          heres a man whos thinking. good call corey.
                          #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

Buddy H8PVMT!!!!!!! Clean the throttle body, inspect and / or replace the child, the distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs and fuel filter replacement. So download your next fill a fuel injector cleaner Lucas.

Comment

Originally posted by altonjone View Post
                              Buddy H8PVMT!!!!!!! Clean the throttle body, inspect and / or replace the child, the distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs and fuel filter replacement. So download your next fill a fuel injector cleaner Lucas.
                              isn't it a little early to be drinking? it's a distributorLESS engine, fuel filter is in the tank

pulled the fuel rail and it was completely filled with rust and shit....every injector port, had an extra clean rail and injectors, threw them in and it fired right up
                              1992 xj Briarwood
                              Welded front and rear
                              13' LED roof lights
                              Disco ball
                              Truck nuts
                              Spinners

Comment

Working...
                              X