aw4 question need an answer asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aw4 question need an answer asap

so hux is putting a new treanny in, in my drigveway and were having trouble getting to the flywheel to spin now that the tranny is installed and bolted up with two bolts. its a tranny outta a 98 he has a 99 xj and i keep hearing they are uncompatible let me know asap.
    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

sounds like something isnt lined up right. im guessing you are prying on the teeth of the flexplate trying to get the whole engine to turn over? as for compatibility i dont see why they would be different, especially since it is a 4.0 and im pretty sure those years were all AW4 transmissions. and if its bolted in, and the converter and pilot bearing are all lined up and good to go, i feel it should spin freely. question, did you take the old torque converter out when the old trans came out? as in are you using a new torque converter?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

i found that 98-01 AW4's had the same number of sensors etc, and were compatible. The torque converter from the old tranny is whatis still in the transmission. And it's pushed all the way in.

2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

did you start at least one bolt to the torque converter yet?

Comment

No theyre still not lined up.
          MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Make sure you dont tighten those two bolts down too tight, back them out a tiny bit if they are. I dont know how the tranny is supported at the moment, but make sure its not just hanging off the engine block, lift the back end a bit to bring it closer to level. after that, get a breaker bar on the engine crank and rotate (clockwise). The flywheel will spin, and hopefully the torque converter wont. Of course, life is never that easy, so it will. to stop this, take a large flathead screwdriver and use it to catch the flat notches that the bolt holes are in on the torque converter and try to keep the converter from spinning while the flywheel is (this can be a bitch, as it takes a bit of strength to pull it off). insert bolts and torque to spec.
            "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
            It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

All in and hooked up

The jack on the tranny was a little too far back, causing the bellhousing to sag just enough to rub the TC on the flywheel, ergo my problem was the tranny not being at just the right angle. Swap is nearly complete, just need to rehang my exhaust and replace my fisted x-member. And get me a sandwich, I'm starving
              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

oops didn't read you fixd it
                1992 xj Briarwood
                Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                Welded front and rear
                13' LED roof lights
                Disco ball
                Truck nuts
                Spinners