Pulling my carrier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling my carrier.

Im trying to pull my carrier out and it wont budge out. Any tips or tricks for getting it out? I dont have a case spreader so yeah, can I make a makeshift one?
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

i used a prybar, and gently slid it under the carrier to the back of the housing, and gently pried it out, just don't pry against the pinion gear.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I pry against the ring gear bolts, works alot better than anything else. What I did to get the one out of my 30 after I put it in with too many shims is tied a rope around the center of the carrier and gave it some good sharp tugs, came right out.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

make sure the shafts are fully out....ask me how i know also if you have a dead blow hammer, give it a few good whacks with that on either side of the ring gear and see what happens. if you have someone handy with a pry bar while you are doing that, give it a shot

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

put a rag on the ring gear all balled up and turn the ring gear, when the rag gets to the pinion it spits out the carrier, works every time i have taken my carriers out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            put a rag on the ring gear all balled up and turn the ring gear, when the rag gets to the pinion it spits out the carrier, works every time i have taken my carriers out.
            have to try.
            Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Ill try the rag trick. Ive been trying with pry bars and no luck.
              -Caleb

Comment

Try puttin the carrier bearing cap back in with both bolts out about 1/4 inch then turn the carrier so the the cross pin is facing out then you can put the pry bar under the edge of the carrier and pry against the cap bolt,ive done many that way.hope this helps

Comment

Got it out with a mix of the rag and rope method, thanks you guys. Now I have to get this stupid pin in.
                  Last edited by Bigbike; 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM.
                  -Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                    Ill try the rag trick. Ive been trying with pry bars and no luck.
                    Sounds like you need bigger pry bars.

Got it out with a mix of the rag and rope method. Nw I have to get this stupid pin in.
                    What stupid pin are you talking about.

Not for the future it helps to tell people what kind of axle your working on, they are all different.

~Justin.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

To answer you Justin I believe it's his d44 and he's referrng to the rollpin
                      dirty30

Comment

Case spreader, large pry-bar and then a roll pin punch.
                        Then a large dead blow mallet to put it back in.

I cannot remember the last time I had to take the pin out of a D44.
                        At least it is not the bolt style on a small carrier that like to snap and no way to drill them out with C-clip axles. now that is fun.

It helps to have the correct tools, if not have fun improvising.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post

Not for the future it helps to tell people what kind of axle your working on, they are all different.

~Justin.
                          Sorry dude... I didnt think that taking a carrier out was axle dependant on a semi stock axled xj

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                          Case spreader, large pry-bar and then a roll pin punch.
                          Then a large dead blow mallet to put it back in.

It helps to have the correct tools, if not have fun improvising.
                          Again, Im not regearing axles everyday, or even opening up my diffs every week, so I see no need for a probably expensive Case spreader.
                          I would love to not improvise but Im sure youve had to buddy.
                          -Caleb

Comment

Sorry dude... I didnt think that taking a carrier out was axle dependant on a semi stock axled xj

Again, Im not regearing axles everyday, or even opening up my diffs every week, so I see no need for a probably expensive Case spreader.
                            I would love to not improvise but Im sure youve had to buddy.

Always good to know what you are working on.
                            D44 use a case spreader to apply preload, pretty dam hard to get them out with out it unless the bearings are really warn.
                            Have fun getting it back in.
                            At least the shims are behind the bearing on the 44 make it easier to get back together if the shims are behind the race like on the 8.8 it is a lot of fun to get it back together with the shims keep falling out.

Chrysler have screws to preload the carrier, I would have told you to loosen those first.

Sometimes you need more than just a hammer to get the job done.

Glad you wear able to get the axles out, did you need a slide hammer?

As for the roll pin you should be able to find a correct size punch I don't see a reason it wouldn't come right out.

Just funny to see what people put themselves through to save a buck.

It's all good
                            ~Justin
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Working...
                            X