AW4 Rebuild questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AW4 Rebuild questions

So, thanks to the Jeep Rally and possibly the worst spotter since the Titanic's night watch, I officially have a high clearance transmission pan on top of having an AW4 on its way out. I have one sitting outside my shed waiting to be swapped in, and all I really need to do so are a kick down cable and (I think this is what it is) the wire loom that leads to the TCM. I have a couple questions about swapping/rebuilding said tranny...

1) Can I reuse my kick down cable? This is more because I'm poor and really don't want to wait on getting a cable, since this transmission has been on life support for more than it should ever have been.

2) What year/type Toyota internals swap in? I've read about/been told about this. What parts exactly get swapped, what kind of Yota do I look for, and what does swapping said parts do

3) Should I replace the TCM when I swap transmissions? Dumb, but we swapped a tranny on my dad's Chevy and the TCM freaked the fuck out like it was Y2K.

4) Does anyone have experience building up/rebuilding trannies? How much am I looking at to do the Toyota parts?

Any help would be appreciated.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

1. you should be able to reuse our kick down cable that is the cable that connects to your throttle valve also known as a TV cable for that reason. You need to open the tranny to swap it out.

I haven't taken apart an AW4 in a while.

If you have no money spend $25 on the manual or search Scibd or something it is probably on there.
    And rebuild it yourself. Most custom tools you can get around not using them just a little harder, get creative.
    Take it apart see what is worn broken, then replace seals, clutches and torque converter is always a must. Clean out our tranny lines/cooler before you put it back together.

You can check all your solenoids with jumper wires to a battery and compressed air.
    Then just clean everything and put it back together reverse order not hard just a lot of parts. Check clutch back engagement with compressed air.

I have an AW4 21 spline if your interested $150 with a 231.

I never used Toyota parts I thought that is just if you want to go to hydraulic controlled or manual valve body. So no TCM no solenoids any more.

I think the Toyota stuff will end up costing you a lot more money than you will expect. And not to many people are going to be able to help you out.
    Ask Google they probably have more information on the Toyota stuff.

You TCM should be fine if it was working fine before.

~Justin
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

IMO finding a replacement trans is very very easy for these things. rebuilding is a pain in the tookus. However, if you choose to go that route, be organized as fuck and keep parts in order. take pics if you need to just so you can see how everything was. Check what comes in a rebuild kit for them as well. and if you get a replacement, get a new torque converter

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Rob,I'd use the factory jeep overhaul kit,I have rebuilt every almost every trans chrysler has used and have never had to rebuild or replace an aw4 in all my years with chrysler.I can probably get you a good deal on the overhaul kit if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleuj17 View Post
          Rob,I'd use the factory jeep overhaul kit,I have rebuilt every almost every trans chrysler has used and have never had to rebuild or replace an aw4 in all my years with chrysler.I can probably get you a good deal on the overhaul kit if you want it.
          Sounds good dude!
          MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

I would just buy a known good tranny from someone you know and call it a day.

Don't blame the spotter. You should spot your line and have an idea of how your run should go without a spotter at all.

P.S. Buy a tranny skid.

Comment

Spotter sucked.

I have a known good transmission, but i want to rebuild it because the one currently in my Jeep was also a "known good tranny" and it decides to become a three speed whenever it feels like.

And I have one. It's called high clearance tranny pan
              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

i wouldnt fuck with a tranny that has to be driven daily, id just grab a good one, but with that said if i had an extra laying around i would def rebuild it for the learning experience...

if you are competent doing internal engine work or gear stuff try to rebuild it yourself, cuz all three rely on precision and order, so if you would never ever imagine reworking a head or setting gears, dont pull the thing apart
                dirty30

Comment

Working...
                X