Tires and gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires and gears?

i cant choose between wrangler mtr's with kevlar or mickey thomsons baja claws, would like so input from people who have run these tires i saw at oer 2 that doug ran the baja claws and they looked like they stuck to everything, but i didnt get a chance to see the mtrs.
    and also need some help picking gears going to be eventually running 35's on a 4 banger dd so 4 88 or 5 13's i dont think 4 56 would fair too well need some options and some experience thank you
    2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
    97' zj
    2012 surbra imperza DD
    im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

mtr's. A lot of people on here hate the claws. Also Andrew cumminsjeep runs the mtrs and they seem to work tits for him. I take it you're running stock axles? You plan on running 35's on a d35? Anywho 4.88's would probably be the sweet spot.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

no i have a 8.8 im going to gear and put in
      2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
      97' zj
      2012 surbra imperza DD
      im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

4.88's.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I would deff run the mtr's, they are going to last alot longer then the baja claws and make half the noise..
          98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

28/35 =4.11/5.13

so if you want to stay with the stock gearing with 35s then you would need 5.13.

Basically go with the tires you have now tires you want to go with then ratio you have now and figure out the ratio that will give you the same split then decide if you want the same gearing, lower or higher.
            It's that simple.

But 4.88 is the lowest you can go with some axles see what is available for your axles.

once you get in the deeper axles it isn't much of a split only about 5% between each gear.

Transmission make a difference if you have over drive you can easily go with a lower gears than someone with only a 3 speed auto with know lockup, etc.

I would Gear it for your max speed vs RPM and go for the lowest gears you can live with.
            there is a bunch of calculators out there if you need a hand let use know.
            No since in having an 5th gear that never gets used.
            You can always shift up but only down shift so far.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

tires to me is just personal preference most compounds are about the same so it is just the design you like.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

if you're going to spend good money on tires just go with the MTR, BFG KM2's and the Cooper STT, thay all seem to last and have good tread so I would go with whatever one of those I could find the best price on.

Comment

I'd go with either the MTR's or the km2's both are great tires.

4.88 is the deepest you can go with a dana 30 front. In all honesty though, capt crunch wheeled with us in a tj open/open on 33's. I am completely confident that with that 8.8 in the back and the 30 up front, both locked and with 4.88 gears, and 33's you could do just about 90-95% of the stuff at somewhere like rausch creek.

I am not going to lie, i regret going to 35's one, because i do all the same stuff i could on 33's, and two because there is more stress on the axles, esp if you wheel hard and i have broken a lot more since i have gone to the larger tire size.
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

^ good post. thats why i went back down to 33's from 35's
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

I love my kevlars offroad. they do very very well on rocks and have not had many problems anywhere else. however, they are wearing a lot faster then i would have hoped. but im blaming that on myself. 1-because i have a spool in the rear and 2- my alignment was fawked due to a bent TRE and when i put in the new TRE my toe was slightly in and it wore them down like crazy on one 3 hour drive. However, with a lunchbox style locker in the rear and a good alignment, i have no doubts i could get 30k outta them.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                      X