rear leaf spring bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear leaf spring bolts

i was trying to install my rear leafs for my lift today and ran into some problems. i was able to break the bolts free but, i am not able to pull them out completely. does anyone have any insite on how i can get these bolts out?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L I6, stock for now

I take it you mean the ones that go into the unibody? What do you mean you broke them free? Do they spin? have one person ratchet on em and have the other jam a pry bar back there so they pry as it's turning. It should back out.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

yea the ones on the unibody. sorry i didnt mention that. when i said i broke them free, i loosend them up to the point where they arnt in the unibody any more, the are sitting in the bushings on the leaf springs and wont back out any more.

Comment

Cut them with a sawzall, you're lucky they came out that far, it's very common for the boots to seize in the eye of the bushing
        dirty30

Comment

Cut them dude. I had to do it on my 99. Call me if you need help, im off tomorow.
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

yeuuup, ya just gotta get creative with them.

if ya dont need to save the leafs, i like to just start cutting into the eye till i can can get in there easier with a cut off wheel or sawzall. or try and get soem vice grips on the sleeve and thread teh bolt thru the rust in the sleeve. so ya only need to cut the bolt once, because the bolt is probably still in the bolt hole a bit.

good luck
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
              Cut them dude. I had to do it on my 99. Call me if you need help, im off tomorow.
              last time i had you cut something you cut like half my fender! haha! yea ill let you know man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                Cut them with a sawzall, you're lucky they came out that far, it's very common for the boots to seize in the eye of the bushing
                they came out that far with some force but then they stopped. i did succeed at getting the top bolt on the left rear shackle out completely. but the other bolts....not so lucky

Comment

spray some lube in there and work em out, make sure you dont have any pressure on them..

Comment

I had the same issue but with enough fighting I was able to get them out.

But the next time I was planing on cutting a hole in the unibody and using a punch to push them the rest of the way out.

Worth a shot. Let me know if it works for you.

~Justin
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                      I had the same issue but with enough fighting I was able to get them out.

But the next time I was planing on cutting a hole in the unibody and using a punch to push them the rest of the way out.

Worth a shot. Let me know if it works for you.

~Justin

doing something like that didnt even cross my mind. im going to try a few other things first, if they fail then ill give your idea a shot. thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X