winch options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch options

i was lookin at winches for my tj to possibly buy soon. it looks a little expensive for me so i was wondering what the weakest winch i would be ok using on a 2.5l tj(dont know if its much lighter than a 4.0?) a lot of people have 8000lb but the other ones are kind of cheaper. then i need a winch plate too. can i just buy the winch plate and bolt it to my stock tj bumper and itll work? also im looking at getting a cb radio setup for about 100$ for everything. is it worth getting?
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

FYI
    Quadratec has the new XRC winch on sale for $300 right now.
    Save lives; Please keep your Jeep stock

Comment

I got the Warn M8000 for $570
      I love it
      Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

you can get the xrc8 for cheaper than 300. shop around

Comment

8000lb is the lightest you'll want to go. figure the winch for the weight of the vehicle fully loaded for a wheeling trip (food/camping supplies/misc gear) which will be about 4000lbs. You want double that in a winch rating.
          I'm not sure about just buying a winch plate and bolting it to the stock bumper, some TJ guys will have to speak up on that one.

Spend a little bit more on the CB setup. you don't want to buy one only to find out you can't transmit more then 10 feet with it. Something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_01.htm would suit your needs fairly well and is a cinch to install.

Comment

ok so, 2 things. the radio package found has the same uniden 510xl radio but the antenna i think is better with the package you found. i imagine that would make it a lot more worth it.
            second, i dont have money for a bumper with a stinger on it but i want it. thats why i asked if a plate is enough for the winch. if anyone knows anything about direct mounting a winch to plate to stock bumper on a tj talk to me.

Comment

all CB radios are the same, most important thing is the antenna, ground, and wires. and yea, they make TJ winch plates for stock bumpers.

Comment

disagree that they are all the same. some have different wattage outputs

Comment

Originally posted by Joker2669 View Post
                  disagree that they are all the same. some have different wattage outputs
                  they're all 4 watts as per FCC standard set like 20 years ago. The only way you can get more output is if you know how to mod them, and its illegal to do. My 84-85 Cobra is 4W, and with my 4' K40 I can talk to people 50 miles away if the terrain is flat. I can ~15 up here around the mountains.

Comment

I would jut spend the 50 bucks more or whatever it is for the Smittybuilt XRC10 or whatever it is. its 10k lb
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                      I would jut spend the 50 bucks more or whatever it is for the Smittybuilt XRC10 or whatever it is. its 10k lb
                      x2. 50$ more and another 2,000lbls on "insurance"
                      2000 XJ
                      2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

agreed.....get the bigger one

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Winch plates on a tj, if i recall correctly, such as with a Warn bumper/stinger setup, will bolt through the bumper (Which is also bolted to the frame) on top and into the top of the frame rails. (certain years had tow hooks mounted by these holes IIRC) a winch plate for a stock bumper setup will probably mount to these holes using longer bolts.

but I donno what the hell im talking about. I dont drive a TJ.

good luck dude
                          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                          It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

part of me thinks this is a dumb question, but could i get a stinger bar and bolt it directly to my stock tj bumper? or do i need a fancy new bumper to do that?

Comment

you could do it for looks, but more than likely the mounting points will suck and it won't be strong

Comment

Working...
                              X