engine install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine install

so finished what the hardest part of the engine swap would be and now tried to put it in three times and no luck

it's a 4.0 getting bolted to a AW4. can't get both shoulders to line up, can snug one side down but the other side is off by about an inch or so. right before I got the engine dropped on my hand we almost had it but still was off a bit, tried shaking and shimmying it on. any tricks I'm missing?

or if anyone lives near Pawling NY and wants to try their hand tomorrow let me know

doug
    1992 xj Briarwood
    Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
    Welded front and rear
    13' LED roof lights
    Disco ball
    Truck nuts
    Spinners

did you get the torque converter with the aw4 or did it come with the engine you got ? i had a big hassle on grand cherokee motor swap as the converter was slightly different depending on year/which auto
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

came out of the xj, engine is a WJ but had the converter matched/bolted up to it and it worked fine, then I realized that you have to put the converter on the AW4 first how did you solve your problem?
      1992 xj Briarwood
      Welded front and rear
      13' LED roof lights
      Disco ball
      Truck nuts
      Spinners

Comment

Never crank down the bell housing bolts there is something wrong. You will cause major tranny damage if you crank it down tight.

was the engine from a Standard then you need to remove the pilot bearing.

Make sure to use the flex-plate for the correct transmission. different transmission use different flex-plate.

Make sure the torque convert is all the way in.

The torque converter should be free to spin even when fully bolted up if it is not something is wrong.

I've mated tons of engines and trannys together it should just slid right together once lined up.

Have fun
        ~Justin.
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I would remove the motor mounts from the unibody just to get more wiggle room in there. Bolt up the tranny first then raise everything up to meet the mounts.

Check out what Justin said, I`ve done an engine swap in a 5 speed before but not an automatic, sorry man. Good luck though
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

got it in today before the downpour, I didn't have the converter all the way on, was off by about a half inch, tightened the bolts a little and it went right in wailed on the motor mounts to get them to line up right (I LOVE BROWN DOG) turns over by hand, hope it fires this week
            1992 xj Briarwood
            Welded front and rear
            13' LED roof lights
            Disco ball
            Truck nuts
            Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT View Post
              got it in today before the downpour, I didn't have the converter all the way on, was off by about a half inch, tightened the bolts a little and it went right in wailed on the motor mounts to get them to line up right (I LOVE BROWN DOG) turns over by hand, hope it fires this week
              Good job not having the TC all the way in is pretty common, it is hard to tell when it is all the way in.

~Justin
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Good job not having the TC all the way in is pretty common, it is hard to tell when it is all the way in.

~Justin
                Aggreed, dont feel bad.
                I usually sit there and turn the TC for about 5 minutes making sure it is in all the way.
                2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

i spun it around a bunch and it sounded good but what the hell did i know
                  1992 xj Briarwood
                  Welded front and rear
                  13' LED roof lights
                  Disco ball
                  Truck nuts
                  Spinners

Comment

NEW PROBLEM

so I was tightening down the driverside bolt and there was a pop noise....engine wouldn't spin easy after that, loosened the engine bolts and took the plugs out and it was spinning fine, went to bolt the converter in and the holes didn't line up...no problem, spin the motor and the converter spun with it...big problem. Any way to fix this easily without removing the engine again?

sound like the converter is cocked in the engine?
                    1992 xj Briarwood
                    Welded front and rear
                    13' LED roof lights
                    Disco ball
                    Truck nuts
                    Spinners

Comment

Working...
                    X