Temporary brake line fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary brake line fix?

Just curious what people have done after springing a leak in a brake line on the trails. Pinch it off? If so, how? Cut out the bad part and make an extension line? Again if so, how?
    2001 TJ
    2001 Tahoe
    2013 M3
    1986 R65
    1997 Blackbird
    2013 R1200GS

I would limp it off the trail and have someone take me to pick up a new line. There really isnt a temp fix for brakes IMO but I guess if you were really in a pinch I would cut the line, fold it over and squeeze the hell out of it with a vice grip. If you had some take a piece of rubber and some hose clamps just to try to hold the pressure in.

You really cant ghetto rig anything hydro
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

go to local shop buy new brake line and install. don't be dumb, besides it'd be really tough to getto rig anything because there's so much pressure
      1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepbonehead View Post
        go to local shop buy new brake line and install. don't be dumb, besides it'd be really tough to getto rig anything because there's so much pressure

Are youuuuuuuuu kidding me? This is exactly what I said, hell I even used the term `ghetto rig`

Is it just me? Anyone?
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

ive used the fold and vice grip method with success before. just gotta remember you only have 3 brakes when driving home.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I got a log jammed up under the jeep and ripped the line from frame down to the rear axle that feeds the rears. Folded it and clamped it with vicegrips. Worked fine drove back to camp after finishing the trail. Parts store and a dodge Dakota rear brake line I was good to go.

Comment

i only have 3 brakes right now. my drums are beat to shit but ill be swapping it out soon enough. it kept blowing the rear cylinder so i capped it til i gets a new bum
              Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

fix it... or use the ebrake to get ya home (if it works)

Comment

Word... I figured the vice grip method would work but wasnt sure. Was looking at a car that needed a new brake line, was considering limping it home with one pinched but the guy sold it anyway, so no longer necessary.
                  2001 TJ
                  2001 Tahoe
                  2013 M3
                  1986 R65
                  1997 Blackbird
                  2013 R1200GS

Comment

It would be a good idea and cheap to get some Inverted Flare plugs and keep them in your glove box.
                    Another option a little more costly but faster is brake line shut offs Summitracing sells them. I'm going to put them on my buggy better to loose 1 set of brakes than both.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL48010/

I've tried the vise grip thing with no success.
                    You can carry a long solid brake line and just wind it up when you need to make it shorter.
                    Or get a long flex line with inverted flares on both ends.
                    I use the DIY steel braided brake lines not DOT legal but work and I just bring spare line and ends.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                      It would be a good idea and cheap to get some Inverted Flare plugs and keep them in your glove box.
                      Another option a little more costly but faster is brake line shut offs Summitracing sells them. I'm going to put them on my buggy better to loose 1 set of brakes than both.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL48010/

I've tried the vise grip thing with no success.
                      You can carry a long solid brake line and just wind it up when you need to make it shorter.
                      Or get a long flex line with inverted flares on both ends.
                      I use the DIY steel braided brake lines not DOT legal but work and I just bring spare line and ends.
                      i like this
                      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

ha.. that would have been nice to have at rausch.

55.99... Is not a very attractive price....
                        91 YJ: 4.0, 4" lift, 33" TSL's, SYE, Woody driveshaft, cut flares

Comment

Downshift and use your e-brake...

oh wait, this is SiS... nevermind.
                          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                          It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Working...
                          X