Beefing up my Turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beefing up my Turd

After tearing my stock UCA mount off again, I pulled my front end out last night to do my Ballistic Truss and replace the mount. My question is what else can I do to beef it up while it out.

I'm thinking boxing the lca's, welding the tubes and such.
    Anyone think of anything else? Also when welding tubes is preheating recommended?
    dirty30

Gusset your inner Cs, HD diff cover(i like Ruffstuff) box those uca, like you said, HD lCA mounts. I just read something about lining the inner axle tubes with DOM or chromoly or something like that. I know I plan on doing the Ballistic truss, and new LCA mounts, maybe boxing in the uppers.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

IRO makes an inner axle sleeve kit. However, if you are trussing it, you may not need it. but for pure beef, why the hell not
      http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-SIASK

HD LCA mounts are a must. I have Currie ones and so far so good.
      http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1275
      and these will help too.
      http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2374

also like caleb said, gusset the C's and a beef dif cover will help. Ruff Stuff FTW

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

X2 gusset the C's I like Poly Performance stuff.

I'm also some day going to fabricate custom knuckles for the Dana 30 so it will be stronger and you can have high steer.
        I just picked up an axle to make the jig.
        If your interested that would be more incentive to start.

I would also weld the lower ball joint in place grind it off when you need to replace it.
        The only thing that keeps the knuckle from dropping out of place is the press fit.
        Seen them loosen up and just drop down by gravity.

Add steering stops front and back so you don't over steer your u-joint.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-21273.html

or

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-20274.html
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I plan on making my own c-gusseta as I have plate laying around, as for the knuckles I have wj knuckles here, but the swap is kind of daunting, so some sweet fabbed Dana 30 knuckles would be pretty awesome, even if you wanted to borrow one of the wj knuckles Justin that way you could build a high steer Dana 30 that accepts the wj twin piston calipers
          dirty30

Comment

So I just welded on my ballistic truss, overall wnt pretty well required a little tweaking to get it to fit nice, but it's all welded up, next is my uca mount, which will be tie into the truss and down to the tube.

Looked at the innr c gussets, and decided I might as well just buy them as my own gussets won't be anywhere near as nice as the polyperf ones.

After that I'll be doing the lca skids and trying to throw some gussets on them seeing as I don't wanna buy new ones... might just make side plates from 3/16 and basically build the old mounts up

hey Justin, any word on those knuckles?
            dirty30

Comment

HP dana 44, 4.56 gears, 30 spl. lots of beef 100 bucks and shes all yours!!!

hell if u wanna pay for the parts to finish it (u joints, some steel, bracketry at my cost, brake pads, pinion yoke, install kit, locker of your choice) i will build the axle for you. all new tubes, you want it i'll do it, really want to get rid of this axle, i need monies for other things, it will be a rediculous deal on a 44 front. if you want that route let me know.
              Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 09-12-2010, 10:23 PM.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i was told the poly ones will not work for ours as they are for a jk d30 which is a little different in the space available cuz of the coil placement on xjs....this is why i didnt buy those..

no real world experience there, but may be worth research
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  i was told the poly ones will not work for ours as they are for a jk d30 which is a little different in the space available cuz of the coil placement on xjs....this is why i didnt buy those..

no real world experience there, but may be worth research
                  go on aim william.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Mr. Zullo= do want that axle, only issue is a) my 44 rear has 4.88 and b) pm'ed

Mr. Gentile= I was looking at that, I was hoping thy the picture wasn't representative, but looking more into it I'm pretty sure they are jk specific
                    dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                      Mr. Zullo= do want that axle, only issue is a) my 44 rear has 4.88 and b) pm'ed
                      just responded to your PM that gear ratio hoopla sucks.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                      X