Rough Idle, hesitation leaking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Idle, hesitation leaking gas

So last month I swamped the XJ in a water crossing at Old Florida road in MA, Fried the O2 sensor and busted my gas tank. Since I have owned the jeep I have consistantly smelled gas after filling it but never thought much of it. The next morning on my way to Gutter, I filled the tank, and it leaked out the top of the tank on the right rear side over the passenger side leaf spring. We are talking a gallon or more. I didnt notice that the tank had been smashed any more, (no new dents that are visible). So I figured I put a hole in it, not rocket science, but when i went to pull out the jeep was hesitating, idling rough and felt like it had lost power. I trailered it home, and replaced the O2 sensor. guess what it still runs like ass. So I'm thinking the hole is were the breather tube is on top of the tank on the right side, and that I got water inside the tank. Just havent had time to drop the tank. Has anyone ever fixed a breather tube hole, or had issues with water in the tank? The fuel pump is brand new, should I just order a new tank with all the seals and swap in the new fuel pump? Or should I try to get the water out of this one and fix the hole?

It probably really in the end comes down to your budget. I can't remember what the hoses look like on the xj but on my cj they are just rubber radiator like hoses. Not too expensive to replace if you have the time. I guess it also depends how much damage was actually done to the tank too that would determine your decision one way or the other.
    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
    1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
    2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

Around 40 bucks for a used tank or 100 for a new one. I had water in my tank in my 93 but since the tank and pump were junk I replaced both and it ran just fine.
      Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I just have to get under there, it could be as simple as the vent tube hose rotting out. prob gonna slap a brand new one and all new seals in. then order a skid haha

Comment

yeah, tanks are funky. theres so many things it could be, you really wont know til you climb under there. when mine had a hole in it, it was rotted out and sometimes it would leak like a civ and sometimes it wouldnt. ive had 2 xjs and ive replaced 2 tanks and 2 fuel pumps lol. i sold the good tank i had on my 93 when i bought my 96, and sure enough a couple weeks later the fucking thing started leaking. i swear these things are out to get me.
          Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

If you think its the breather and you tank may be in a vaccume I would take compressed air and force it down the breather tube to:

A) see if it takes the air.
            B) run it after. If atmospheric pressure wont get down that tube maybe 150psi will, then try running it again.
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
            X