coil spring rate. ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil spring rate. ideas?

I want to change to a coil that will give me something that is good for crawling as well as jeepspeed. Im going for something around 200 coil rate. anyone know anything good? I did some research and apparently RE 3.5" coils are around 220 but i dunno how true that is. and RE 4.5s are around 165 or 170. Rustys HD coils are around 180 so im tempted to go with them. Right now Im running clayton/rockrawler coils and they are very soft(supposed to be around 165). I really like them in the rocks but I want something more all-around. any one have some ideas?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

personally i wouldnt change springs for a 15 increase

i dont know how true the numbers are, but ive seen that number tossed around for re 3.5 in the past...its in the JF thread as well which im sure youve seen with all the rates

ive thought about changing rate..but the fact we are essentially going to be working with 4" of up travel, 2 of which is bumptravel for me at least...its just too little uptravel to really work exceptionally well and get into advanced spring rates and shock valving

it can only help though i suppose..might be worth an email to RE. or a call.

...or deaver.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
      I want to change to a coil that will give me something that is good for crawling as well as jeepspeed. Im going for something around 200 coil rate. anyone know anything good? I did some research and apparently RE 3.5" coils are around 220 but i dunno how true that is. and RE 4.5s are around 165 or 170. Rustys HD coils are around 180 so im tempted to go with them. Right now Im running clayton/rockrawler coils and they are very soft(supposed to be around 165). I really like them in the rocks but I want something more all-around. any one have some ideas?
      fyi clearing the misconception, clayton coils are not the same as rockrawler coils. made by a completely different company.

i will say though when it comes to coil rates, my rustys were way stiffer than my clayton ones.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I love my re3.5's. fo serious. They flex like a monster and when I get to a rompin them things, they ride like a trophy truck... Mah jeep stays still and and my suspension just falls and compresses. They are the "end all be all" spring coupled with my go fast shocks and progressive bumps they cannot be beat.
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

It rides just like a Trophy Truck, eh Josh?
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Yo andrew... Next time we go wellin together in the go fasts i will bring a coil spacer and we can swap out springs to see if you like my re's if you want. I am serious. all I gotta do is flex and well... the spring comes out lol.

2003 TJ Rubicon
            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
            • 5.13's
            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

nice josh thanks! def might take you up on that. i have plenty of coil spacers at home to bring along.

pasta, do you know the coil rate of the clayton coils? cause i really like them until i get goin fast like in south jersey last time. and thats cool that they arent rockkrawler

Will, I asked around on naxja about deavers and apparently its deavers or nothing in the jeepspeed world. vetteboy Chris said that his rustys coils were much stiffer than his RE also. the only really definite thing i found was that the RE 3.5" coils were much stiffer than the 4.5" ones. Chris said that I can flip the compression and rebound shims in my Foxs too which (if they are set at 40/60) would flip it to 60/40 and would be better all around instead of being geared towards crawling/the street. I just gotta figure out how to do it

I dont think im going to change coils right away unless I really like Josh's RE 3.5s when i test them out. but I still need to do the lower shock mounts but I need misalignment shims for the heims unless i can find something else to take their place.

Comment

i'm running the RE3.5 too and they seem to ride so much smoother and stiffer than the rustys. idk if that has to do with the shocks or what but i get hardly any body roll now.

andrew next time you're home you can mess with my jeep if you want. re3.5 with 5150's all around
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

yea cause rockrawler sucks hahaha

I know they are not that stiff, because of the incresed body roll i actually considered doing something for sway control. I actually looked into setting up and antirock in an xj last night.
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                    I just gotta figure out how to do it
                    supa easy

also only reason i havent gone deaver is because their jeepspeed spring is a 5.5...but we'll see.

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                    I love my re3.5's. fo serious. They flex like a monster and when I get to a rompin them things, they ride like a trophy truck... Mah jeep stays still and and my suspension just falls and compresses. They are the "end all be all" spring coupled with my go fast shocks and progressive bumps they cannot be beat.

- Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      It rides just like a Trophy Truck, eh Josh?
                      Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post

Are you guys naysaying? The last person(s) who did such a thing are now wearing orthopedic shorts.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                      • 5.13's
                      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

supa easy

also only reason i havent gone deaver is because their jeepspeed spring is a 5.5...but we'll see.
                        Thats one of the reasons i dont wanna go deaver as well.... i think im like 4.5-5 inches and im pretty sure those clayton springs are worn out. They are very very tippy on the road. Im really contemplating finding a set of RE 3.5s for cheap or just biting the bullet and buying new ones. I really would like a test ride from alex or jawsh

Comment

hold that thought

i have couple mails into Deaver

ill let you know what I hear

BTW put those shocks through the floor, ask zullo or phil....its like im back to running a swaybar, all my unnecessary body roll is totally eliminated since
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

hold that thought

i have couple mails into Deaver

ill let you know what I hear

BTW put those shocks through the floor, ask zullo or phil....its like im back to running a swaybar, all my unnecessary body roll is total eliminated since
                            Good shit dude. Someone on Naxja said that they had a set of Deavers custom made at 350 spring rate. Which clearly is high as fawk for my application, but that's cool I can get them custom made if i decide to go that route down the road. Do you know what spring rate their standard 5.5" coils are?

As for putting the shocks through the floor, I need to find a set of shocks first. but I really dont have the money to spend on another set of Fox resis. But that also depends on what i find. if someone is selling a set of 5100s or something along those lines I might swipe them up for a temporary thing, just so i can get it done.

Comment

i mailed them lookin for exact spring rate and about custom application (height)

been too lazy to do it til now
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X