Poly bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly bushings?

I have been having some problems with bushings on my Jeep for a while now. The RC LCA's I had on it had a couple bad bushings after only a couple weeks. I take them off a year later and all 4 are bad. What happened is the metal sleeve in them came loose from the rubber and then they click and clunk like crazy because the arms can move side to side a hair.

Replaced them with brand new Rusty's LCA's. Two weeks later both of the passenger side ones are bad replaced them with 2 more from rusty's, bad again in a few weeks.

Same thing with the trailing rear leaf bushings, I had them both go bad a few weeks ago, replace them both and one of them is already bad again.

None of this really affects their function, but it's really annoying. Basically my jeep clicks every time it goes over a bump.

I'm thinking about snagging one of the complete poly bushing kits that includes one of every single bushing on the whole Jeep, anyone ever use poly bushings? How do they hold up? Are they advisable for use on control arms since they don't have give to them like rubber bushings or should I stick a johnny joint in one end or something? Did anyone else have a similar problem ever? How long do these fancy flexy joint's last, I'm going for a low maintenance vehicle here and don't want to be servicing them all the time.
    Last edited by iant333; 08-27-2010, 12:01 AM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

your problem is rustys and rough country. their bushings suck. you don't want to see what any of my rustys bushings looked like, it was terrible.

Rubicon express flex joints are good and last. Currie johnny joints are the same theory and are awesome. Also the rubicon lowers use much better rubber bushings too. mine really weren't in that bad of shape after 2 full years.

I've only heard horror stories about poly bushings because there is no way to really grease them or keep them lubricated, once they start making noise which i have heard isn't long, its gonna be really hard to quiet them down.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I've had my re leafs in the jeep since before the jeep came into the family, one is just starting to make noise after ~4 years of wheeling.
      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

like said above, poly bushings aren't the best for that kind of application. They are only best for swaybars because they firm up the handling a bit. Rubber is better for control arms because it has more give to it.
        -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

Working...
        X