SYE and driveshaft stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE and driveshaft stuff

Im sick of my rear driveline grinding and vibrating up a storm so it's going in the trash. Not sure what the issue actually is but i'm hoping this is gonna solve it.

Should I do a hack and tap or full SYE, I know all about both of them, just wondering if there is any way in hell I would ever break a stock rear output shaft meaning I should spring for the full SYE. I'm pretty sure the u-bolt straps break first since it has happened like 3 times and my output shaft is still fine.

I'm leaning toward the hack and tap since it's super cheap and I wont have to take any of that shit apart. I've heard that they can cause wobbles due to poor balance and cut's that are a millionth of a fraction of a degree off, any truth to this?

As for the driveshaft, I got exactly 4 inches of lift back there, measured it this morning, what length driveshaft do I want, a 29.5 XJ front will work? Or is that too short and I should shorten a ZJ front? I dont feel like measuring it then not having a rear driveshaft for a week while I wait for it in the mail so just tell me what you guys got.

I think I might do this since there is only 1 junkyard near me and they never have shit or it is a ton of money, and I wont have to worry about rebuilding it.
    http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-X_HNT
    Last edited by iant333; 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

what tcase do you have now? iirc the 242 can only be hacked and tapped.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Throw a full SYE in from PORC for 175 bucks. Find a stock auto XJ shaft and throw it right in. I believe Will runs this with 4.5" of lift, I ran it with 3.5". No problems at all. I would pay the extra for a full SYE so I know it is stronger and will work correctly, but that's just me.

Also, just checked that link from IRO. You can get the SYE for 175 and get a stock front shaft for 25 bucks. Same price, better result.
        Last edited by Pedro; 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM.
        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Working...
        X