HELP! starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! starting problem

today as i was going to work, it was raining heavy and on my way there, i went through a decent sized puddle and now as im typing this, the jeep is sitting in the parking lot at work. i tried jumping it and nothing happened. battery has full voltage, gas is full, i believe i fried the alternator but i dont know whats wrong. any ides or anything to check would be appreciated.
    1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
    .,=====o00o ______________
    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
    l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Does it crank over when you tried to jump it? lights work? this is on a xj right?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
      Does it crank over when you tried to jump it? lights work? this is on a xj right?
      this is an xj, lights and gauges work, it almost wants to turn over but just doesnt start.
      1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
      //___l__,\____\,___ ____
      _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

so it cranks over and over again? mine did this when my tdc (the one on the bell housing) went bad... I think. i replaced that and my cps

Edit: talked to my dad, he said you may have gotten the wires wet/got the distributor cap wet. Check the distributor first and go from there
        Last edited by LittleD; 08-22-2010, 03:47 PM.
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

i checked the cap and the wires, that cap is on good. i did a old trick my father told was to unplug one of the wires and put a screw driver in it to see if it had spark and it doesnt. so my idea is that the coil is gone, ill replace that and see what happens. also what was suggested.
          //___l__,\____\,___ ____
          _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

wipe out the distributor cap. usually when that gets wet it won't start. had that problem all the time
            94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
            3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

cps?

Comment

how would you guys go about checking/testing the ignition coil?
                i know to use a voltmeter but idk how to test it.
                //___l__,\____\,___ ____
                _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

buy a spark tester, I think they sell them at almost any autoparts stores..

Comment

found out the problem, the coil was fried, so new ignition coil solved the problem. thanx guys
                    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
                    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

Working...
                    X