newb question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb question!

sorry guys, newb here. i just bought my 89 jeep wrangler the other day and last night i tried the 4 low out to make sure it work and it did. i climbed up a couple curbs and all went well.

except for the last time i came down off the curb, it didnt drop to hard but bounced a little and the headlights went out. now since it was 1030 last night, i looked real quick for a fuse but couldnt find the box.

im assuming/hoping its just a fuse cause all my other lights work. im going to take a look at it when i get out of work. i need to register and go through emissions soon.

thanks in advanced
    Last edited by grandboost98; 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM.
    98 grand prix gtp - too many mods to list

89 jeep wrangler - stock..for now

could also be the switch or the sealed beam lights are blown..

Comment

that was quick lol but yeah i was looking through search to try and figure it out and i found alot of other light issues that seemed to be caused by the light switch itself but they didnt sound like the problem im having so i wanted to post this to see what you guys think.

it wasnt a hard drop at all, just kinda rolled off the curb but i guess it couldnt hurt to check the headlights. just weird that they would both go.

Comment

ok so if this is the only conclusion for this problem can i just jump the switch out for now? put a spdt toggle in its place? or do i need a new one?

thanks

Comment

If it is the switch just get a new one not worth hacking up the factory harness to use a toggle switch... all the running lights work? do you have hi beams?
          89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
          95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
          97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
          If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

everything else still works( blinkers, hazards, brake lights, running lights) just nothing from the headlight( low or high beam) hopefully its just the switch and they have it in stock at a local parts store.

is there anything else i should look for?

Comment

Originally posted by grandboost98 View Post
              everything else still works( blinkers, hazards, brake lights, running lights) just nothing from the headlight( low or high beam) hopefully its just the switch and they have it in stock at a local parts store.

is there anything else i should look for?
              Check to make sure the connector on the backs of the lights didnt come off
              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

i did check that last night, they were both on there snug. i didnt think to check behind the switch yet though..

Comment

Check behind the switch, and check the relays for the lights. The relays themselves may have gone bad.
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

like i said, i havnt had too much time to look around it yet but i saw some relays under the hood by the battery last night, are these the ones your talking about? and what kind of readings should i be looking for with my DMM? or should i just replace it since its probably original anyways

thanks for all the help so far, i cant wait to get out of work and try to get them working again. if all goes well, i should have it on the road by next week so i want to get everything situated by then if i could

Comment

mine used to do that sometimes if you just wiggle the lights a bit they might come on....if it was as soft as you said it should only be as simple to fix...try shaking the lights or wires around the terminals....
                      99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

so i went to start trouble shooting the headlights yesterday and the first thing i did was flip the headlight switch, no lights. but i hear this weird noise coming from the switch. it was like pulsing/surging. the running lights would flicker too when this was happening.

so i turned them off and start pokeing around to see if i saw a short. moved a couple things, tried the lights and they worked! shut the hood and they went out again lol so its definitly a short or bad wire somewhere. i got them to stay on but who knows what bump they'll go out on next.

i know on my car there are some common ground/ other electrical issues that everyone has. are there any known issues with a certain switch,ground,relay, ect that i could attend to?

Comment

i have no experience with this issue really but i would.. A. check for wires in the harness that are grounding out, B. start thing about a new switch, C. start with a new harness.
                          http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=70
                          fairly cheap harness that works well for jeeps.

Comment

Working...
                          X