Steering upgrade options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering upgrade options

I'm on a tight budget here, but buying a pair of tires every year isn't going to help my financial woes either. I was just wondering if anyone has any input on this kit:
    http://www.csloffroad.com/zjxjheavyd...esteering.aspx

Or, maybe some other options that could be installed easily (myself + hand tools) for less than 350 clams. I really don't want to buy drill bits and a reamer if I can save the dough. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

waggy steering can be done for the cost of a reamer some time and the whole setup. Its cheap to get

zj steering

banditt offroad does one ton installed for 350 iirc
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

ZJ steering is pretty strong, its not anywhere near a one-ton setup but it's been fine for me and it about 50 times better than the stock noodle of a tie rod, and the drag link is hair bigger too. Can usually be had for only like 50 bucks or if you want to just avoid the trouble of looking around and start with all new stuff crown makes a set.
      http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/cro...tj-p-1946.html

Or after the price of a reamer this would be like 350.
      http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6
      Last edited by iant333; 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

there are a few threads on here about steering replacement. search fer em'

if you have a buddy who can weld check out www.completeoffroad.com 's builder steering.

everything you need for 1 ton steering except a reamer for $220
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I have not checked out the steering on a ZJ. Is is similar to the XJ, but just more heavy duty? The problem I'm having is tire wear. When the suspension goes up and down, it actually changes the toe so that it cannot be solved by an alignment. A drop pitman arm would solve that problem, but put more stress on the steering box and unibody, so that's not a fix in my mind. What I need is a solid link going from knuckle to knuckle with a drag link hooked to it, not the back-asswards design of the stock set up. I'm only running 31" tires, so massive beef is not absolutely necessary.As time goes on, I might up the tire size, but not much more that 33" or 34". I'm running a 3" lift and have no plans of making it higher; I like my Jeep low and wide.
          So, my question is, is the ZJ steering the same design as the XJ but with more beef, or is it a solid link knuckle to knuckle? If it's the same set up, then I don't think it will solve my front right tire wear problem.

Comment

Thanks for the info KTMracer. I was typing, making dinner, and keeping the chillins from beating the fuck out of each other, so I missed that post. I have seen that before, I ordered my gears and install kit from the in the spring. It looks nice, but I'm looking for something that I can do in my driveway with handtools, and be able to drive to work on Monday.

Comment

A zj steering setup is just thicker (the tie rod tube is solid, and uses sleeves for the tie rod end to thread into) Depending on the year (newer/older) the drag link is also an upgrade from stock.
              God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

No it's the same setup but what you are saying doesnt make any sense. Inverted Y steering shouldnt make your tires wear funny unless the alignment is off. You are correct, the toe does change if the distance between the axle and steering box changes but the minor amount of suspension travel you experience on the road isnt going to do that.

I'd say your issue lies elsewhere and while inverted T steering might be a good investment it sounds like that isnt your problem.

I'd start by having it aligned somewhere else and see where that gets you. There are people still running inverted Y with much more lift than you and they are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
                  No it's the same setup but what you are saying doesnt make any sense. Inverted Y steering shouldnt make your tires wear funny unless the alignment is off. You are correct, the toe does change if the distance between the axle and steering box changes but the minor amount of suspension travel you experience on the road isnt going to do that.

I'd say your issue lies elsewhere and while inverted T steering might be a good investment it sounds like that isnt your problem.

I'd start by having it aligned somewhere else and see where that gets you. There are people still running inverted Y with much more lift than you and they are fine.
                  That's what puzzles me. I've had it aligned twice. The first guy aligned it and a year later my right front right tire was shot. This spring I had a friend of mine do it, and when I went to pick it up, he said that it wouldn't align. He said that it was in spec when it was sitting there, and when someone got in it, it would go out of spec. So they shook the bumper up and down and the toe would go in and out of spec. It's just fucking weird.
                  Maybe the lowdown on my Jeep might help:
                  Stock track bar
                  Stock steering
                  3" lift
                  Heavy ass bumper and winch
                  31" tires on 3.75" backspace wheels
                  Any and all other mods shouldn't play into the alignment / tire wear issue I'm having.

Comment

I've never done anything but an eyeball alignment but I suppose some weight being taken off and put on the front end might change the toe a minute amount but I cant imagine it would even be noticeable. If you want to visualize it better put the front of the unibody on jackstand's and jack the axle up and down, the toe change isnt going to be even visible.

Basiaclly I cant tell you what your problem is but i've never heard of this being an issue before and from what it sounds like and from my undertsanding of steering it doesnt make any sense that that would be the problem. Tone of people use stock style Inverted-Y and dont have that issue so I dont know what to tell you.

Sorry I coulnt be more help though.

Comment

Well, thanks for the input. Maybe I should just try a tape measure toe alignment and see what happens......
                      It's alot cheaper than new steering. However, new steering would be way cooler!

Comment

All the steering ends ok?
                        Hows the camber look?
                        Wheel bearings (unit bearing i guess) and balljoints ok?
                        2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

also hows your balljoints?..

Comment

There is no slop in anything. I just put Timken wheel bearings in awhile back when I got tired of replacing Napa bearings every 8 months. The tie rod ends and ball joints are all nice and tight.I just checked it all out last week.

Comment

with your xj being 97+ all you really need is the V8 ZJ tierod becasue it is solid not hollow.You already have the beefier draglink. It might be best to bet a real aligment done at a shop.

EDIT: after reading a previous post of yours, why not try having your buddy align your XJ with you in it.
                              Last edited by OTTE; 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM.
                              2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                              1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Working...
                              X