Rock rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock rails

What do you all think of those super square rock sliders that Aj's offroad puts out. I will be getting a welder soon and since i dont have a bender i cant make them with the tubes, but i think the squar ones are something that i can do.

I'm sure they will work just fine go for it.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

those are pretty similar to Detours.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

the only thing I don't like is theres no mount for the pinchseem

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
          agreed I would add a support for the pinch weld
          89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
          95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
          97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
          If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
            Fo serious. Mine are like that without the "step" part. If you want I can throw up a pic. They're homemade and tie in to the pinch seam
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

In know about the pinch seem. i was just questioning the outer square tubeing that are usually round tubeing on most other sliders. I have been makeing my plans by looking at JCR's sliders but i want that outer bar some way and this i can do. I also wanted slanted upward a little, but dont know how it would look witht he square tube.

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
                In know about the pinch seem. i was just questioning the outer square tubeing that are usually round tubeing on most other sliders. I have been makeing my plans by looking at JCR's sliders but i want that outer bar some way and this i can do. I also wanted slanted upward a little, but dont know how it would look witht he square tube.
                I personally wouldn't even bother with the outer one just make them stick out a little beyond the rocker and where the door curves out
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                  I personally wouldn't even bother with the outer one just make them stick out a little beyond the rocker and where the door curves out
                  Yea i just like the look and kind of want the step.

Comment

I am a fan of the super squares, I would have gotten them if JCR didnt have a sale. I like how they have three mounts to the unibody rather then 2 like JCR
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

i had sliders below the body and hated them there. weld em into the rockers, IMO it looks better, they are more functional, and if properly tied into the unibody, they are stronger that the self tapping bolt application.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextSpanky View Post
                        i had sliders below the body and hated them there. weld em into the rockers, IMO it looks better, they are more functional, and if properly tied into the unibody, they are stronger that the self tapping bolt application.
                        The question i always had about this was where does it tie into, just the pinch seem or something else. Will it sitting higher up is it hard to reach the pinch seem? How did you do yours?

Comment

x2 cut out the rockers and weld square stock in there

looks better, more functional and more clearance
                          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
                            The question i always had about this was where does it tie into, just the pinch seem or something else. Will it sitting higher up is it hard to reach the pinch seem? How did you do yours?
                            i used my old sliders, but most find that 2x6 square stock works perfectly for that. all you have to do it cut the rocker out right below the door and right before the pinch seam underneath. It makes this perfect little cradle for the slider to sit in and then you just gotta burn it in. to tie it in, i have stiffeners so there was no need for plates on the unibody, i just got some pieces of 2x2 notched them accordingly and burned em in. pics will be up in a couple days when i update the build thread again.
                            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I use 2X4 and stuff it up so it is level with the door fits in there pretty well.
                              I don't make it stick out any further I go with as little to hit the better. But that is just me but the doors with take more abuse.

Do what ever you like better you can always cut it off.

But to answer your question. Square vs Round
                              I don't know why more people don't use square tubing, I've been wanted to get a square tubing die to make all the little stuff mounting to square tubes is a lot easier but you can only bend it in 4 planes not unlimited like round tube.

Strength for denting that is just the material thickness.
                              For bending moment of inertia of the shape is the important factor (amount of material and the distance from the center axis). Think I beam. If you really care search google for "moment of inertia" and you can calculate it you self.

I beams work great but in only one direction. Now if you look at all the direction the most efficient shape for weight and strength is round.
                              But you can always use square you just might be a little heavier.

I think round tube is just a fad I don't see any reason why people use it on such things as frame rail especial funny when they stack 2 tubes on top of each other thinking it is better than 1 square tube.

Most of the stuff like rock sliders are over built so round vs square is just looks.
                              Maybe you can say the corner might hang up easier but not enough to notice.

Clayton's lifts use square tubing.

Hope that answers your question.
                              ~Justin
                              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                              X