Lightbar! ideas...go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightbar! ideas...go!

So, I set up and wired (rj wired) all the hella 500s on top of the jeep...and I am trying to devise a way to mount them better..the stock rack bar which theyre mounted on is not up to the task, too much movement with these as opposed to what i had before...

What I would like is ideally:

Them to exist in the same location...aka not mounted on my safari racks front face, theyre too far back and will be shinin all in my sun roof..and no im not moving the rack up to the front, it looks awkward. Also dont want them up any higher.

AND

I want them to be able to fold backwards flat(or frontwards, whatever)..so that when I am doing tight trails they can not be tree grabbers...ive seen this done in the past before but I cant remember how they were executed, been too long

it can attach/work off of the rack of course, just not far back. (they can extend forwards of it)

Anyone have any real ideas for a mechanism/design to accomplish this? ive thought some stuff up, but additional ideas/angles never hurt and may be better than what i have conjured up

- Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

i really haz no idears , but honestly it doesnt seem like your lights are that much taller than the rack, meaning wouldnt be ok if they didnt flip but instead had cages around them to protect them, trees or no trees? sort of like a baja truck
    dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
      i really haz no idears , but honestly it doesnt seem like your lights are that much taller than the rack, meaning wouldnt be ok if they didnt flip but instead had cages around them to protect them, trees or no trees? sort of like a baja truck
      i thought about doing baja design stuff...but thats hit or miss...i feel like they can get really clunky looking...some can be done ok though....but if i did one of those id want it to fold anyway...maybe on a tube-bushing system, i dunno..might be getting too out of hand for 4 hella 500s

either way, above the rack or not, i tore 2 of my old lights off, and spun the couple others in trees just because they would hit the branches before the rack would and just catch them, and they were half as high as these...good thing they were so cheap and shitty cuz i didnt care, but these are another story
      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

well what if you made a tight fitting baja-style light cage, and then just the lights themselves/the mount itself can fold so that way they are protected up an ddown?
        dirty30

Comment

http://jkowners.com/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=133

I can haz you wanna deez lightbarz as shown here...

Do it you wont.
          2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
          • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=XJMISC
            make something like this...

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
              I was gonna recommend something similar. It cant be that much for the tubing and maybe you and phil could make some gutter mounts at his shop?
              P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
              2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
              OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                well what if you made a tight fitting baja-style light cage, and then just the lights themselves/the mount itself can fold so that way they are protected up an ddown?
                Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                http://jkowners.com/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=133

I can haz you wanna deez lightbarz as shown here...

Do it you wont.
                i just think they look clunky unless youre jeepspeeding in the desert and your rig fills em out ..they look a little much on my rig even if we created it pretty damn tight, no?..def raises the footprint

i still think i wanna keep a normal lookin design, not caged in

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                ive seen that JCR unit, def not a fan of its looks! though it would function..though i dunno.............
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i kinda like the JCR unit...the cages seem way too much IMO
                  mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                  2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                  and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Is your frame crooked?
                    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                    • 5.13's
                    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                      Is your frame crooked?
                      seriously? or are u fawking with me
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

the only thing i would change about the JCR is the fact that it's angle forward.

Comment

one of my ideas was

a tube that runs between the factory rack rails on either side...each rail has a bushing sleeve on it or similar..when not tightened down or pinned in some way, the tube can rotate forwards and backwards...voila "folding" or in this case rotating lightbar that can flatten out
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I can build you one like the one I built for mine without a problem. The weak link on mine is the mounts to the rain gutter on the Jeep. I hit RJ's garage with mine and the bolt that held on the roof clamp broke and slightly bent up the rain gutter. The lights were fine I just tweaked on the rain gutter and got a new bolt. Granted you do wheel more then me but I don't think you'll hit anything harder then a garage door
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post

what if you do something like this

but just run a bar above the lights, and the lights upsidedown, nothing below

you could probably make it out of some cheap 3/4 bar and it would be plenty strong, or some skinny tubing. would be well protected from shit too
                              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X