Another Bumper thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bumper thread

Well do to ripping my front bumper off by being an asshole its time for me to make a new bumper with the AJ's offroad tie in plates i have sitting in the garage. Photoshoped up an idea real quick similar to most other Xj bumpers, thinking about recessing fogs into it definatly getting a set of shackles and going to eventually add a winch plate to the top.. the most Id like it to stick out is 3" and in order to run a winch I will put a plate off the top and gusset it.. It may also get a bar over the top however thats last..

yes i know the top bar is crooked...

What thickness plate should i get 3/16 or 1/4"? I may even use 1/8" on the sides to save weight..
    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

1/4 all day if you plan to use it. The center of my bumper is 3/8 actually..

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
      1/4 all day if you plan to use it. The center of my bumper is 3/8 actually..
      wow 3/8" is bigg Ill prob just get a good size sheet of 1/4 to make it easyier and I do plan to use it

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

I think 3/16 would be strong enough if you built it correctly. 1/4" would probably be the easier option though.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
          I think 3/16 would be strong enough if you built it correctly. 1/4" would probably be the easier option though.
          truth.

i'd go 3/16" with 1/4" tie ins. will's bumper is proof that you can build it TOO good, he hit it hard (and i mean, you heard it hit 1/8 mile down the trail), the bumper didn't give, and it tweaked the front of his unibody pretty bad.

i'd rather bend my bumper up than fuck my unibody up.

that being said, mine is 5/16" box steel with 1/4" tie ins.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
            truth.

i'd go 3/16" with 1/4" tie ins. will's bumper is proof that you can build it TOO good, he hit it hard (and i mean, you heard it hit 1/8 mile down the trail), the bumper didn't give, and it tweaked the front of his unibody pretty bad.

What thickness is his built out of? Im building mine 3/16 for the length of my grill, then 1 15 inch piece of 3/16 for each side. Along with i think 1/4 inch tie-in
            God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

hmmm gunna decide when I see what the steel is going to run me I just cannot take having no front recovery point!

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

for 2x6x3/16 square tube, right now logan steel in Meriden is at about 18 bucks a foot

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

^^ thats more than I thought... I should be able to get steel real cheap a good friend of my parents runs the local steel shop

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by WAD357 View Post
                    ^^ thats more than I thought... I should be able to get steel real cheap a good friend of my parents runs the local steel shop
                    They have stuff in the bargin bin, that quote is for new steel

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

gotcha

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                        truth.

This is definetly a factor, but I was also thinking along the lines of weight as well.

If you ask some of the KOH/buggy builders, they will tell you that most of their rigs don't use anything thicker than 1/8" or 3/16" wall. If they use 1/4" or bigger there better be a damn good reason for it.

Now, obviously we aren't running KOH or building buggies, so weight isn't as large of an issue. But, it's something to keep in mind. Structural integrity > Brute force

Comment

Working...
                        X