Replacing stock rockers with 2x6 dookin steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing stock rockers with 2x6 dookin steel

This is for people who have deystroyed thier rockers, have rotted out rockers, want rockers that will handle some abuse, want to ditch thier lower clearance rocker guards,etc.....

Install time: factor in 3 hours for the first side at a leisurely pace, and the next side about cut that in half because you know exactly what you are doing

whadaya need!?
    Some box tubing, i have seen people use 2x4 for it, but i prefer 2x6 for the door protection. 1/8" might be sufficient, but i would reccomend 3/16" or 1/4" if you really abuse your junk. you will need 57 1/4" per side.

tools for cutting/ grinding metal, sawzall, angle grinder and whatnot

measuring tape

welder. a simple 110 mig would do just fine

paint fo bling

SAFETY STUFF, goggles and gloves, welding mask.

a few strong men, or a jack capable of positioning the tube in place while you weld it on.

admire the old busted junk

cut that old junk out via cut off wheels or sawzall blades or both. i cut to the flat spot on the top of the old rocker and on the bottom left about 1/2" of the old rocker sheet metal coming off the floor.

this pic is untrimmed

trimmed and all neatened up.

cap the ends so junk dont get inside them, could also use them as airtanks now.

here is the shop bitch, bungee cord controls the speed, and it still fluctuates at times, but when it runs mint she will lay a sick nasty bead.

mocked her up

she looks pretty in there. i ended up using 57 1/4" of 2x6 on each side, fits perfect in place of the stock rocker.

began welding. basically just weld it wherever metal touches. i did a couple inches per time and clamped it together with a c clamp to pull it tight in places.

BAM!

for most wheeling that will do just fine, but if you constantly bounce off boulders and whatnot it isnt a bad idea to tie it into the framerails.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Just at a curiosity, why did you stop at the front fender??? I guess i dont under stand why you wouldn't go all the way to the edge of the fender??
    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
    • 5.13's
    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Thats pretty cool man, I didn't realize that this is something I could do in my friends garage with a few hours.. hmm..
      -Matt
      Facebook

Comment

also a ton of dudes also take a hole saw to the inside and throw some welds on the top

he prob did not go to the fender so incase he has to replace it its not welded to the box. quite simple and cheap upgrade
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
          Just at a curiosity, why did you stop at the front fender??? I guess i dont under stand why you wouldn't go all the way to the edge of the fender??
          EVERYBODY asks me that. i went a little further with the old jeep but made sure to leave one of the bolts intact so the fender didnt flop in the wind. well it flopped in the wind anyway and eventually broke that anyway. i dont feel like welding the fender to my rocker either. and i want to take the washer bottle out of the fender so i can trim a lil moar which would require a fender that isnt welded to my jeep

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
          also a ton of dudes also take a hole saw to the inside and throw some welds on the top
          i dont see the point, the welds and sheetmetal will hold for much longer than the rest of the jeep.

Comment

Is there a reason you didnt ramp the front of the slider?
            Bent Fab Evo4 Rockwell Buggy
            2011 Silverado 6.2L LT
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT
            2004 Z1000
            1999 TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Toreadorranger View Post
              Is there a reason you didnt ramp the front of the slider?
              gonna have a tube coming out of the front for a mild front exo protection eventually

i dont forsee that 2" of protrusion hanging me up in the meantime

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                gonna have a tube coming out of the front for a mild front exo protection eventually
                exo fender protection < wings

Comment

Sam, did you consider running some square stock up in the door sill, that way you have a solid point towards the center, I think in gonna have to do that becuase I have 0" of rocker left on the floorpan side
                  dirty30

Comment

i dont quite follow

Comment

I'm not sure where isaw it but one write up I browsed said he put a piece of 2x2 up the the portion you step on as you enter the jeep, aka where the stupid plastic step guards are, just wondering if you considered this or not
                      dirty30

Comment

totally cool and reasonably simple to do...
                        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                        MK2 Jetta > M3
                        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

did this to mine, sorta...

gonna go take some pics later

Comment

My take...

I took my rock sliders, cut the supports that run to the frame rail off, cut out my rockers... and welded the actual slider in its place... I think it came out mint.

Rockers cut out....

You can see where I cut them off my frame stiffeners and relocated up... Gained about 4" of clearance.

Comment

That looks good mike!
                              2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                              • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                              • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                              • 5.13's
                              • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                              • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Working...
                              X