I made a trailer hitch plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a trailer hitch plug

So my fiance and i are really in to horses. We have 1 for now with the plans of more in the future when we buy some property. There are about a dozen horses in her family between her mothers and fathers side.

Recently we saw a F350 with a cool Horse show trailer hitch plug. I looked it up online and it was $30 plus shipping. I said Fark that.

I had a piece of 2x2 1/4" wall tube and some horse shoes hangin around. I dont have a welder yet so i prepped it for weld and took it to the local shop that Did my exhaust. (Lou's custom exhaust in NH and Mass).

They were pretty slow and they welded it for me for free. Then i cleaned it all up and painted it with silver rustoleum hammered paint. Cost me all of $6 to make with things i have hangin around.

I already have a few friends that want me to make them one so i need to get more 2x2 (but thinner wall prolly 1/8th or 14ga wall) and i have 3 more horse shoes and i am going to make them for X-Mas gifts.

My g/f and her family members all show their horses at local and semi local horse shows and i am working on becoming a Ferrier, (guy who puts on horse shoes) so i think that if i can get my hands on a used mig welder or buy a cheap one at Home Depot or harbor Freight i might start to make these to sell at the horse shows.

My next idea is to take Red LEDs and put them in the nail holes on the shoe for a lighted version and also do different colors.

Horse people are pretty gung ho about horses and uaually loaded (unlike myself) and will pay good money for these, especially the lighted ones.

Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

pretty cool, and if makin a bunch of them brings you in a little revenue then i say go for it
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Thanks, i have a friend on another forum that makes custom wire harnesses so i am going to email him the idea and some specs and see what it would take to make an 8 LED wiring harness and a relay so it will work the the brakes and not flash like the cheapo ones that wally world sells.

Comment

cool. Only you could take 7 pictures or a trailer hitch accessory.

Comment

could i get a pic from 864 mm away, approximately 13 degrees lower than the hitch itself from the southwest side while the jeep is facing north?
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

cool creation
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

it would be cool to somehow incorporate a led brake lite into it
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                it would be cool to somehow incorporate a led brake lite into it
                Thats already being worked on, I am making another hitch plug this week, then i am sending it to my friend from another forum who builds custom wiring harnesses of all kinds.

Then if all goes well, i plan to patent the lighted plug and start making these to sell at the horse shows by some time next summer. (noone has a patent on a lighted horse shoe plug yet)

Each will have 8 Red LEDs, 1 in eash of the nail holes, so 4 on each side. My friend is going to make the wiring harness ready to be installed on these as i make them, it will have a relay so it will work with the brake lights or brake lights and flashers and plug in to a standard flat 4 pin hitch wiring plug.

If i make a handful for this summer and the sell well (i think they will horse people love this stuff and dont mind paying the $$ for it) i think i can make a decent side job out of these and get $25 for basic and $45 for the lighted. I still need to figure out all the cost of materials and what my friend will charge for the wiring harnesses.

Its all still in the idea stages but i think i can have a decent thing going by mid summer and make some good sales at the horse shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Keelyle View Post
                  Then if all goes well, i plan to patent the lighted plug and start making these to sell at the horse shows by some time next summer. (noone has a patent on a lighted horse shoe plug yet)
                  Considering this forum is open to the public, there very well may be a patent on this now.
                  87 Comanche 4.0 4wd

Comment

Well i am working on getting it done, I need to make one plug, send it to get wired get it back and go apply for the patent.

We will see.

Comment

i dont think you can patent a lighted hitch plug

Comment

Very cool man! I like the hammered paint too.
                        88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Working...
                        X