help me build a bumper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me build a bumper...

i need help on how to mount my bumper im going to make...im pretty set on a basic design made out of boxed steel like this one:

this is my mounting option:

sorry for the crappy pics theyre from like 2 years ago i dont feel like taking the cover off right now

how should i mount the bumper, should i just run boxed tube inside the frame and somehow like weld nuts to it to bolt through?

also, ive done all my skids with a 110V 80amp mig welder which isnt the most powerful thing but it seems to be fine..im going to make everything out of 3/16" but the shackle tabs i was looking online for and i found that most are like 1" thick...

can i get the ones that go through the bumper and so i can weld them to both the front and back with multiple passes? i dont know how safe that is lol...
    -Jason
    99WJ 4.0
    IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

tie it under the front crossmember and as far back as you can go on the framerail.

Comment

ive been looking at other peoples mounts which has been my only concern is the mounting...also idk if my welder is strong enough...
      -Jason
      99WJ 4.0

Comment

If you do all your prep properly and pay close attention to your penetration, you can do ok with your 80. Another idea is to use co2 as your shielding gas to get a little deeper penetration. Tabs might be tough tho. Definitely do ones that go all the way through. They will hold better.
        -Tim

Comment

Also, use your tow hook mounts as a starting point for brackes. Build on their desig. For more tie ins. Send them back down the rails a little and try to balance them both side to side and up and down. If you can build a little into the inside of the rails, that will help on the upper end. Don't be afraid of overkill!
          -Tim

Comment

im thinking im gonna mimic this guys bracketry somewhat, maybe not as beefy that looks bigger than 1/4" and i think 1/4" if definitely already pushing my welders capabilities...

-Jason
            99WJ 4.0

Comment

That looks like a pretty good start. If you design it similar to that, yu should be good
              -Tim

Comment

finally got it the way i want it, what do you guys think?

-Jason
                99WJ 4.0

Comment

looks good. get building.

Comment

Working...
                  X