Winch mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch mount

So i want to mount a winch to my xj. But a winch bumper is out of the budget at the moment. Do any of you have an ideas on how i could make a winch mount that will work with the stock bumper ?

front hitch and receiver mount winch plate

hogs a metric ton of ground clearance though
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Maybe try to fab up something similar to this:
      http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone_install.php
      Better yet, just save your money until you can afford heavy duty winch bumper. Most cost effective with no fab needed would be the above post.

Comment

Ya i thought about the hitch. But you loose to much on the aproach angle but that back bone winch set up is nice but cost almost as much as a bumper.

Comment

make yo own
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

Not trying to sound like a dick, but imo a winch shouldn't be in your budget right now.

Focus on things that actually make your jeep capable of wheeling, then you can worry about recovery.

Not to mention there are people on this site that do much more wheeling than you, and have never NEEDED a winch.

Comment

From one broke ass nigguh to another.

FUCK A WINCH...

If you get stuck though, blame evan's advice and not mine.
              Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                If you get stuck though, blame evan's advice and not mine.
                I thought we we're friends

Comment

WE ARE.
                  I just don't want to get blamed if he sinks his jeep or something.
                  Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                    WE ARE.
                    I just don't want to get blamed if he sinks his jeep or something.
                    50 bucks says that won't happen within the next 3 months

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                      50 bucks says that won't happen ever due to lack of wheelage
                      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
                        bingo

Comment

luckily, whenever i needed a winch, there was somebody else wheeling with me who had one.

and yes there are times when a strap wouldn't do, and a winch was NEEDED
                          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I never thought I needed a winch till I was at Wheel the farm with NE jeep and basically damaged all sides of my Jeep trying to make a go around because I didn't have one. Hide sight being 20/20 I should have had one of the others pull my junk up the ledge. Pride breaks your rig. I now have one and have used it a few times. Its well worth having.

That said, lockers would be more worth the money. You may not get stuck half as much with traction. If you are locked in the front and in the rear, then I would say go to the winch.

Making a simple winch plate is very easy and you can probably make it for around $20 in steel if you have a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                              Not trying to sound like a dick, but imo a winch shouldn't be in your budget right now.

Focus on things that actually make your jeep capable of wheeling, then you can worry about recovery.

Not to mention there are people on this site that do much more wheeling than you, and have never NEEDED a winch.
                              A winch should be in your budget IMO. I would go wheeling by myself in VT a lot and a winch is key if i get stuck alone. Its a smart investment so you aren't shit out of luck when you get stuck.

Name some people on this site that have never needed a winch.

Comment

Working...
                              X