Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco Build Thread

I will post pics later.

My ex-girlfriend always wanted a bronco, so of course I searched and searched to get her one (meanwhile Im stockpiling on jeeps). I found a 1978 Bronco on Craigslist for $700 or best offer. Add read something like this "78 bronco 4 speed, decent paint, 700obo and a phone number"

Turns out the guy lived about 20 minutes from me. I called him and he said "well it doesnt start, it needs a starter" I said okay well Ill come look at it. Before I went down I picked up a starter solenoid (fender mount) showed up thing had a nice cherry red paint job and minimal rust for the year and new 31" tires (the big boys). I said "will you take $500 for it" guy said sure. So i pushed it on the street and replaced the starter solenoid, started right up and i drove it home.

(insert pics of the day i got it)

First thing I did was go wheeling of course, got it a little dirty nothing crazy with those beast tires on.

(with 31s and mud pic)

Next thing i did was throw on 36" tsls stock height (those werent big enough)

then i went wheeling again with 36s

broke a bunch of crap

then i said screw this thing, Im building the piss out of it. Then came the 1 ton purchase (79 f-350 d60 and 14bolt full float from a 1980 k30 pickup) then came the James Duff Long arms, then the 9" lift kit, then the shackle reversal kit because i didnt want to run a block in the back.

JD Long Arms $400
    9" Superlift Kit $1200
    Sky Shackle Flip $150
    14bolt rear $200
    Dana 60 Kingpin front $200 (came on a rolling chasis kid thought he had an 8 lug 44)

So I figured if Im doing 1 tons I might as well go all out. it came ith 4.56s and a detroit which sucks because i need the 4.10 carrier to do 5.38s. So my options were buy another 14bolt ff for the 4.10 carrier, eaton locker (comes with carrier) with 5.38s or a spool and 5.38s.
    I went with the Yukon Spool, Yukon 5.38s, 1410 Yoke with Ubolts, and a timken rebuild kit (total cost $780 from randys ring and pinion)

The disc brake conversion from DIY was $65
    Rotors Pads and Calipers were about $125
    Brake lines $60
    Perches Plates and Ubolts $120

Also got my 18.5/44/15 TSL on 15x14 8 lug wheels for $1000 from some guy down south in the boonies well past that about 18 miles

Now for the front. I had originally order 4.56s for a d44 because i didnt think i was going to go crazy so I had a credit at Bronco Graveyard and decided to upgrade to the yukon 5.38s ($240)

Rebuild Kit and 1410 yoke have not been purchase yet but its gonna be about $200 from randys. and Ill go with the timken axle rebuild kit
    (stripped down 60 ready for paint)

I got all new brakes and warn premium hubs for the front about $450

I think thats all for now.
    Last edited by max_stryker; 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM.

need pics

Comment

in before this thread is worthless without pics smileys appear

Comment

pics!
        Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

thats all the pics i have up for now. more to come by the end of the day... perhaps non-cell phone pics

Comment

ordered my rear stuff for the 14bolt yukon 5.38s yukon spool 1410 yoke u-bolt style, and a timken rebuild kit. and my ballistic fab hi steer kit.
            Last edited by max_stryker; 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

nice dude, rippin bronco
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

looks effin awesome

Comment

damn im gonna have to swing by spring break!

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

you make me barf.

Comment

some more pics for the viewing:

i call her ol' reliable...trusty rig for my 3block drive to work... til i snap ujoints out of the straps on the 9"...damn torque! sometimes its not even worth warming her up to drive there...

OHOHOHOHOHOHOHHHHH i almost fogot i got my edelbrock truck avenger avs offroad carb (650cfm) im pretty excited about that... its a goodie. and i picked up an edelbrock intake manifold off a friends old bronco that had parts leftover... no pics of that yet. maybe tomorrow.

mmm bigblock anyone?

i thought about it...but i decided against it ill wait til my 400 blows up more pics to come

Comment

I always liked those older broncs
                        DONT GET MAD GET ROWDY !!!

Comment

thanks man.

so update: got my rear spool gears install kit shafts and yoke!!!!!

now to get a driveshaft and actually put the guts in the rear!

Comment

another update with a bad cell phone pic at night time... AWESOME!

long arm clamped on and cast wedges set up but not welded.. yet

heres pics... got the front situated (mocked really...) under the front of the truck. i sold my old xj long arm kit from KRustys Krap to some schmo at the corner of bumf-ck and you got a purdy mouth south jersey....for $1300 which was more than i was asking ANYWAYS buying 35 spline yukon shafts with superior ujoints OR the Moser MAX shafts and ujoints.... and a detroit locker... should be pretty tits when i actually put all this stuff in....

night time pic sorry guys... remind me during the day!!!

ive also set aside some $ for dedenbear knuckles.... $540 plus ship but those will come after i break my stockers.

im gonna be rocking diy4x's rear truss (backbone) with his anti wrap system (wraptor) and his 14b diff cover which is ridic. im debating what diff cover i wanna go with up front or keep the stock one with im at it.

so far in the works for the transfer case is a twin stick kit for the 205 and im searching for a ford 203 right now to use as a doubler (will be getting steves kit from ORD (offroad design))

thats what i got going on.

oh also picked up a welder snap on mig ya205. pretty nice, good shape
                            Last edited by max_stryker; 03-08-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

i hate you for stealing a kingpin 60 for 200 bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X