Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost

Found a Platinum 5.9 for the right price with ringland damage and some transmission problems. Unibody was perfect underneath, though.

I was building a .040-over 360 for the 96, but the shell was toast. So I stripped it and decided the 9er would be the new home.

Motor specs:
    .040-over Magnum block
    Mopar Performance double roller timing set
    Mopar Performance lifters
    Mopar Performance replacement cam
    Accel cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil
    Mopar Performance HV oil pump (basically just a Melling M72HV)
    Crate motor 5.9 heads with the R/T 2.02 valves
    Ford 302 1.7:1 roller rockers
    Mopar Performance valve covers
    Hughes Engines plenum plate
    FlowKooler water pump
    Accel 27# injectors
    ARP head bolts
    ARP main bolts
    Valve cover stud conversion

Bolt-ons and other crap:
    K&N intake
    52mm bored and flat-topped throttle body
    Doug Thorley headers
    Summit insulated plug wire boots
    Spintech Pro Street muffler
    200-cell bullet cat
    Iron Man 4x4 poly motor and transmission mounts
    WJ power steering pump
    HD steering box

Originally the motor had Edelbrock hardened pushrods in it, but in the process of starting it I discovered the rods (which according to Edelbrock were stock replacement Magnum pushrods) were just too long and were keeping the valves cracked open, keeping the motor from building compression. Stock rods went back in, and bueno.

The transmission was pulled and a replacement Torco converter put in, along with a Fairbanks shift kit, Superior billet low/reverse servo, Sonnax billet accumulator piston, and Mopar solenoids. Hard lines were eliminated and high-temp, high-pressure hose was run from the trans up to a cooler and through the radiator. The 249 case was pulled in favor of a 242, and the Novak t-case shifter cable was put in to eliminate the stupid factory linkage. Rear Posi clutch packs were rebuilt as well.

Currently reverse is still an issue, but the transmission was extremely weak in reverse before I did the drivetrain swap. There's one more part of the valvebody to check over, since the weak points of the low/reverse servo, accumulator piston and band adjustment strut have already been addressed. If the valvebody pressure tests fine then the no reverse is a symptom of weak front clutches. I located another 46re (not too easy to find a Jeep one) just in case.
    Last edited by Ruepart Hoaxley; 04-11-2018, 10:09 PM.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Few more pictures:

Pulling old drivetrain

New motor in

Headers
    MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Picked up a new 46re, going to move my billet servo pistons and such rom the old one into the new one. Trying to get header collector gaskets that’ll fit the Thorleys now... just waiting on Prime

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
      MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

What blew up in the old trans? Wasn't worth rebuilding it?
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

The OD lost the retainers for the 800-pound spring inside, so it’s just floating in there ready to take the head off whoever tries to unbolt the OD unit. I also would rather swap a trans than tear it apart to rebuild simply because I don’t have the patience for the rebuild.

MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

wow a surprise jack in the box tranny. That's understandable lol
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Finally discovered the source of the oil leak I’ve been chasing for 4 months. Right valve cover PCV grommet was touching the baffle inside the valve cover, not letting the PCV do its thing. It built up pressure and blew out the gasket. Now I can actually drive it somewhere to put the new 46re into it and weld the rest of the Clayton subframe on

MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Spent the last few days pulling the old transmission and moving the Sonnax billet servos and accumulator piston to the new one. Upon cracking the new one open I found Oregon Performance red clutch packs and Sonnax band struts already in it... pleasant surprise. New trans is bolted up with a new crank sensor, new Torco converter, and the valve body/servos from the blown one. Should have the trans and motor filled and the headers back on tomorrow.
                MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Working...
                X