War Gin - The 1984 Wagoneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Gin - The 1984 Wagoneer

So spring 2012 I bought an 84 XJ Wagoneer with 108k on the clock for 50 bucks.
    2.5L w/ carter carb
    Ax5
    NP207
    D30/D35 w 4.10s/11s
    Had a tiny defroster crack in the windshield, a couple of rust spots on the body(but unibody itself is decent), and the rear bumper was a chrome shell containing... Well nothing. I kicked it off after poking a hole through it with my finger. The water guage didnt(and doesn't) work, and the headliner was destroyed( and is). Other then that the interior was decent apart from the beige cloth and 80s orange leather, carpet, and trim combo. Dropped 700 to get her road worthy (car sat for 4 years so new brake hard lines and fuel lines etc). The only other thing that needed to be replaced was the clutch which was done this spring.
    Drove her with the stock size tires till the beginning of winter, needed something with more tread so I bought a set of Canyons with decent metric 29s and stuffed them under the car. Drove fine and only rubbed with 4 in the car or on hard turns (against LCAs).
    Rocked those tires till about February when I got pissed at being stuck on a patch of ice and found a crazy good deal on 4 new 31s (530$!)

However this rubbed much much worse and I could drive with my girlfriend only so I quickly purchased a 2" budget boost kit with 4 shocks for 200, and installed later that week. Also made a rear tube bumper but I don't have pics of that.

Still rubbed on bumps with 4 in the car and turns. Drove awesome though.
    So I ran the 2" kit till about August, when my passenger leaf exploded, so I purchased 4" leafs off eBay and installed them, and ran the jeep funny car style for about 2 months, with the plan of lifting the front to match. I kept the rear sway bar with extended links but planning on dlt soon.
    Fast forward to October, and a set of 3.5" RE fronts, discos and brake lines arrive and With the help of 2 friends we got everything on, took it for a test drive.

No dice, death wobble from hell, it was literally so bad I thought I drove over my front axle the first time it happened. So I bought an adjustable iron rock track bar from one of said friends and installed later that weekend. Had difficulties aligning the axle with the track bar,
    So a little redneck alignment

And so she sat. There's a little shimmying over hard bumps and the shocks may be over extended but those are getting replaced soon.

And a few months ago got a $50 bumper with hella fogs off Craigslist. A little wire brushing, a coat of gloss black to match the rear and a little wiring aaand

123k at that time.

I must ask - what is 'WarGin'...ike, the alcoholic juniper spirit that you bring to war or a warmongering Djinn with a clever misspelling in the name ?
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 01-17-2014, 11:24 PM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

my old headliner, or lack thereof.
      pulled a roll of fireproof ultrasuede from the stockpile

and voila.

So in late November got my carb and had it installed.

Huge difference, Im getting 25-30 miles per gallon, my acceleration is unbelievable compared to before , and I can drive fast-ish :p

Comment

Good looking oldie!

There's another guy on here with an 84 but his has a 2.late.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

War Gin is what british soldiers gave nubian auxilaries to promote courage. Now its pretty much african moonshine. Tastes like shit, but itll fuck you up.

My car just has mad stickers all over it from the previous owner, War Gin was one on the dash, I <3 Eyelid TV was another on the rear pass door jamb, theres a miniscule 'ouch' next to a tiny stick figure on my rear view. its just part of the car haha
          Last edited by WarGin; 01-18-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Got Shackle relocation brackets and new Bilstein 5100s last week, installed em, but the shackle angle was weird and it ended up sitting on the shackle when we took it off the lift. rocked it like that for a few days but it rode like shit. shackle was moved back one hole since this and now shes nice and soft and flexes OK.
            Also finally removed my rear sway bar. dont know why I even bothered extending the links.

thats with the front sway still connected warrant I coulda gotten another 6" or more of uptravel

Comment

Awesome! I love the old 80's xjs! Miss my '87 pioneer i learned how to drive on. How is the 4 pot? It rolls the 31s ok? I cant believe how good of condition its in. Nice work restoring it. Can register it as an antique too!
              Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

So War Gin got her new shoes put on, they're great in the snow, not so much ice but whatever they're gonna be fine for me.
                So on valentines day, went to work, got home got ready for a nice night out, me and the girl go out to the car and *grind-whirr CLICK*
                Pause..... *CLICK*
                No start. Solenoids working, tried jumping the starter to the battery....
                *click*
                So my starter died completely out of nowhere. Never had an issue with it ever before. Ordered in a new one, of course being that my jeep doesn't exist I have to wait 5 days. Got the new starter on Wednesday and she fired up like a charm. New starter is a little louder though.
                She rolls 31s awesome,
                Just picked up this set of 31-1050r15s for 600 shipped.
                Hercules Trail Digger MTs.
                NOT a carbon copy of Cooper STTs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by WarGin; 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Looking good. Reminds me of my 89 XJ Pioneer

Comment

They actually look nothing like cooper STT's
                    Last edited by Pedro; 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM.
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

Think they fucked up the carbon mold on this one boys.
                        99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

Ill say

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

close enough for me. at 250 bucks cheaper im not complaining

Comment

Dont let these fools get you down Charles, if it works for you, it works. I like the way it looks now. And at least you arent running Procomps...
                              "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                              It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Working...
                              X