01 XJ - Mild Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 XJ - Mild Build.

Not even sure if this would be considered mild. Needed a dd as my other jeep went down and this thing was resurrected.

Here's the specs;

- 2001 XJ Sport
    - 99,985 Miles On The Clock
    - HP D30
    - C8.25
    - AW4
    - NP231

I picked it up for $500 as it needed some work. Guy basically just wanted the thing out of his driveway, and him not being too car savvy thought something serious was wrong with it.

Now onto some tech.

The night i went to pick it up i started it up, pushed the brake pedal and PSSSSH! Brake lines failed instantly. Replaced all of those. Made this home-made brake bender tool that can put super tight radius bends in brake line without kinking it.

Alternator and A/C were totally seized. I replaced the alternator ($80), and then swapped one of my spare A/C compressors into it. Serpentine belt was also snapped so i put a new belt in it. Also bought a new battery.

Started it up and encountered the problem the previous owner was experiencing. "It overheats the mechanic said the headgaskets blown". That's exactly what he told me. I'm leaning towards a cracked head if anything but i wasn't going to start telling him this.

Anyways, i replaced the entire cooling system. Total overhaul. Everything minus the heater core has been replaced. Cost me right around $200. Let the jeep idle for an hour or so and the thing idles perfect and the temperature stay right under 210 (100c).

It's not eating coolant either so that's a plus. Oil pressure is high too! Win Win! If i do have to do a head, so beat it, it's $450 shipped to my door.

Another problem is the rear brakes. The drums were totally locked up. Had to pull the jeep onto the trailer with a 3-ton come-along and the rear brakes just dragged the entire time.

Currently putting disc brakes on the rear of the jeep to get the brakes in working order. Also noticed the fuel line was rusted out (surprised it hasn't gone through.)

Bought a 25' roll of 5/16" fuel line for $18.

Another thing i noticed is that everything under the jeep is rusty. (Except the unibody and body. I don't understand.)

The axles, driveshafts, exhaust, leaf springs, etc are totally rusted. I think i'm going to swap the axles from my other jeep into this one and make them look all nice before i swap them in.

I just don't know if a HP D30 will fit into an 01. I think the pinion will hit on the exhaust because of the precats or something like that. I think you need 3" of lift to clear. I can't remember.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Well guys. The verdict is in. I decided i'm going to leave this jeep totally stock for the time being.

Figure it'll be cheaper all the way around. Just get myself a nice dd that's cheap to fix if something is to go wrong.

Here are my immediate to do;

- New Exhaust
    - New Leaf Springs
    - New Shackles

I already bought new leaf springs and shackles.

Leaf Springs - $190.52
    Shackles - $46.07

Total: $236.59.

Just need to run out to the parts store and buy me some new U-bolts. It's been extremely cold out this past week and working has SUCKED so needless to say i have no really been in the mood to work on my jeep(s).

I noticed like a week ago that both of the shackles on this jeep are rusted out. The leaf spring eye is literally just sitting in the pouch that the shackle hangs from and every bump you hear the leaf spring flex down then slam back up slightly. I know i know i need to fix it.

Going to most likely do it within the next week.

Last edited by Hudson; 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM.
    Hudson

Comment

Well got through everything i intended to do. Brought the jeep to get emissions done and the bloke that tested the thing didn't even look under the jeep. Not once. He had to weigh at a bare minimum 300 pounds. I guess he didn't care. Hahaha.

Jeeps now good for two years. Now i can rip the cat out and straight-pipe it all the way from the header back without throwing a CEL light as the later models only have the 02 sensors in the pre-cats.

I pulled the exhaust off of my jetta with a blown tranny. It's a Flowmaster Super 44. Literally pulled it off. Was 0 degrees Fahrenheit out last night, i didn't feel like cutting the thing off so i put a tow strap around the exhaust attached it to my jeep and matted it. Dragged the jetta a good 100 feet around the yard before the exhaust ripped off.

Brought the jeep to work to work on it. (So happy i work where i do. They don't pay me the best but having a heated place to work with a car lift, forklift, torches, welders, impacts, shop air, etc etc totally makes up for it. I am literally there countless hours every day working on jeeps. It's seriously ridiculous and they don't mind one bit.

Anyways got the jeep up on the lift and supported the rear axle with a forklift to prevent it from dropping too far down.

The u-bolts actually unbolted, dropped those down, removed the spring perch plate (i think that's the technical name - the thing with holes that the u-bolt goes through), and then proceeded to air hammer the centering pin out of the axle. Lowered the forklift a little bit to drop the axle out of my way.

Heated up the front leaf bolt with an oxy torch and it literally impacted right out. (so nice you don't even know.) Pulled the leaf spring out and threw it across the shop. (The rear bolt wasn't holding it in as the shackle was broken.)

Heated up the rear bolt and used a 21mm socket with a 1/2" ratchet with a piece of pipe over it to remove the rear upper shackle bolt. Actually wasn't too tight or hard when it was heated up. (The quarter panels prevents you from getting an impact on this bolt.

Left the shackle bolt hand tight and put the leaf in. Put the front eye of the leaf spring in and put that bolt hand tight. Put a new Grade 8 3 1/2" Long 1/2"-13 bolt in the rear of the leaf spring where it goes through the shackle. Left that hand-tight as well. Lifted the forklift up and put some pressure on the leaf pack. (To get the centering pin on the spring perch with some pressure on it.) Hopped off the forklift and took a breaker bar and put it through one of the hooks on the extension on the forklift (you might be able to see what i mean pictured) and pried the axle just right to get the centering pin to drop into the spring perch hole. Put the new U-bolts on and tightened them down.

I then tightened the rest of the bolts and did the exact same thing on the other side.

Put new shocks on the jeep tonight. ($38 for two shocks.) Going to put bilsteins on later on down the line but for now these are better than two totally blown shocks.

Last edited by Hudson; 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM.
      Hudson

Comment

Painted one of my spare 8.25s Rustoleum Hammered Black. I actually like the way it looks. Need to paint up some ZJ backing plates, run some brake lines and get this axle ready to bolt in then it's going in this jeep.

Then i'll start figuring out the front end and re-doing stuff up there.

Oh the joys of not lifting stuff.

Last edited by Hudson; 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM.
        Hudson

Comment

shipping on that shop to 84701?

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
            shipping on that shop to 84701?
            Bout tree fiddy.
            Hudson

Comment

Working...
            X