project totaled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project totaled

some of you may have seen my jeep a few years ago at a meet and greet or perhaps passed by it on the road. i've pretty much disappeared from this site since then, and this is why. this is to show my buildup of my 1994 jeep grand cherokee. i call it project totaled because in september of 2010 i was on my way home from the university i attend when i was cut off going down a main road. i instantly impacted the passenger side of the car that pull in front of me pushing the unibody of my jeep back a few inches, breaking motor mounts, and destroying a lot of items under the engine compartment. anyway, i'm stubborn, so i fixed it. i will start describing the build with pics over the next few days. this build is still in progress but currently up and running.

so, i began the build with my wrecked jeep once i was able to buy it back off the insurance company

1994 jeep grand cherokee. Totaled in an accident in 2010 from the stupidity of another driver. Brought back to life by the determination and hard work of me, myself, and i. too many mods to list. all work was done outside my apartment in a dirt parking spot. It's on 2.5 ton rockwell axles... if you want to know more, ask me... i swear i'm friendly.

really doesn't look that bad... probably because the bumper barely sustained any damage from the 45mph impact, but i couldn't say the same for any of the other parts.

crumpled unibody
    1994 jeep grand cherokee. Totaled in an accident in 2010 from the stupidity of another driver. Brought back to life by the determination and hard work of me, myself, and i. too many mods to list. all work was done outside my apartment in a dirt parking spot. It's on 2.5 ton rockwell axles... if you want to know more, ask me... i swear i'm friendly.

Comment

from there, the jeep was brought to my place, stripped down, radiator relocated to the trunk, new steering box, transmission cooler, etc, and driven to the body shop where it was put on a frame straightener, then driven back home.

Comment

then, i drove to nj and picked up some axles that needed a full rebuild...

so, i cut off all existing brackets, and welded some new ones on

Comment

by that time i had actually ripped out the entire interior of the jeep leaving me nothing besides a single summit race seat

and, yes, i did have some help ripping out the interior....

Comment

i'll leave it at that for tonight and continue it tomorrow

Comment

you gonna be selling the hydro assist setup?
              Looks good so far, Ill be interested to see how it comes out.
              What are you going to be doing with it? what size tire?
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

the hydro assist is actually going to a buddy of mine. it'll eventually be a full blown rock crawler on 44" tires. currently it has the 39" tires that came with the axles on it.

Comment

sorry to keep anyone who was interested to see how it comes out waiting... been really busy with work but i'm going to try to get on more often to finish this build thread

anyway, to continue, once the interior was gutted and the axles were rebuilt it was time to move onto the hard part... completely fabbing up a complete triangulated 4 link, coil over suspension for the front end. the thing i really wanted to do differently than anyone else was to make the entire coil over setup bolt on. not an easy task to make something that holds the entire weight of the vehicle bolt on when it's a unibody rig, but i managed. everything was cut with a sawzall and a chop saw and drilled out with a hand-held drill... and yes, i went through a lot of titanium bits. and yes... all steel used is either 1/4" or 3/8" thick

Comment

then it was time to actually put the axles in place.

Comment

Always good to see a rig get brought back from an accident like that. What kind of coils did you go with?
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i'm going to skip right to how it sits now as i cant seem to find what i did with all the pictures i had leading up to it.

so, here's a few pictures of how it looks now

Comment

thanks! And, they are all FOA coilovers.

Comment

i still have the full cage and rear bumper to do. winch still needs to go on the front, and mohawk diff covers are just waiting till i decide to put them on.

Comment

nice job dude that's a big ass project to tackle. Makes those 39's look tiny
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X