Project Deep Creep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xtremeyj420 View Post
    Well Its been a long time since ive posted any updates on my yj build....its been slow and stubborn like a good jeep should be....

Anyways i finally got my 8.8 setup and eventually got the hookup up on a factory open carrier from a 2BNDRT on pirate... he really hooked me up and almost gave it to me for free.... good guy so swapped the ring gear off of my trac lok to the new open carrier new timken's throughout.... flopped in the carrier and i got lucky. Went together perfect pattern looked great didn't have to adjust anything..... new brakes throughout... and painted it all up nice from the wms in about 10 inches. so im waiting to get the rest of my drivetrain together so i can figure out my perches and burn them in...

thanks,
    mike....
    some more pics of the half painted 8.8... lol
    Attached Files

Comment

Project Deep Creep Updates.... FINALLY!!!!

Secondly i started reworking my 4.0 retrofit in place of my 258.... I had a crate renix 4.0 thats has roughly 10k on it.... it was out of a 90 cherokee i had a few years back... its a premium ATK remanufacture and it came with a 100k mi warranty.... that was minumum of 5 years ago..... long story short the xj rotted out from underneath the drivetrain..... so i pulled the 4.0 and aw4 and np 242. and its been sittin in my heated garage ever since...

Until now.... it was rusty from sitting for so long in the jeep plus the salt round here.... anyways i tore it down to long block form ditching all the renix FI crap... I'm keeping this thing carbed for now..... I know I know FI is better.... blah blah blah.... I'm running the same MC2100 1.21 V W/ #46 jets that i was running on my 258... it ran great, and never once had any of camber issues. Now the fun part... running the 258 intake on the renix head... what a PIA!!! the raised intake port ceiling on the renix head gave me very few options to go with. I started doing some port work to head just mainly removing the casting marks and blending the radius in the ports to make it as rounded as possible. Also gasket matched the head.
      You can see in the pics i located the gasket in position on the intake... and then traced the port shape with a sharpie. At the same time i was working on removing the injector port from the head entirely.... i might get some flaming from this.... but i did this using quick steel... it a steel reinforced epoxy and can handle 500 degrees continuous.... i have a friend that builds pulling tractors.... and have seen him reshape combustion chambers and intake ports... with this stuff and have never had a problem..... to make sure the epoxy had something solid to anchor well to i drilled numerous small detents into the surface of the upper intake port.... then applied the epoxy to reshape the port to resemble that of the upper side of the 258 intake.

then was time to massage the intake runners to help blend into the ports as smoothly as possible.... I had to lower the position of the holes on the intake, for locating dowels on the head. this allowed me to have the intake runners flow downward into the intake ports hopefully preserving the intake velocity as much as possible.... on the last intake pic... you can see how i blended the runner into the port... I still have to blend in the epoxy on the roof of the intake port to match the intake runner.... and thats what im going to do later today...

you can also see the engine has been primed and painted.. and ive timed the engine and installed my DUI dizzy...
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X