SAAB Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAAB Buggy

I've convinced my friend Jeremy to build a buggy.
    Very low budget I'm hopping around $5,000.
    So any part donations would be nice.

RCrocs primarily maybe Southwick if it fits a class.

The way I look at it. Top speed gearing not necessary, you only loose a couple seconds at the last part of the straight. So 4cyl trans axle "stuck in low range" wont hurt.

Also strong steering is not as important racing you cannot turn the wheel just back up. So go with a stock power steering box.

Single seater for weight and chassis size.

Basically building the Extreme 4x4 budget buggy but no toy axles.

Honda is the normal choice. But I work at a shop that specializes in SAABs so those parts are easier to come by.
    My boss is giving me a Turbo SAAB 9000 2.3 auto.
    A little heavier iron block than the Honda motor but more power and a lot more rugged.
    Most people are scared of saab because the put the motors in backwards in the 900 but saab always had great reliability especially before GM. Seen number of motors overheated until it stopped running let it cool off and it starts up and runs perfect. Those turbos lost a long time.
    Anyways turn the boost up a little other work get 300hp easy.

Next transmission not the strongest Auto but it comes in the car. and it is all hydraulic no computer for the transmission. See if it lasts just keep it cool.

This is all going to be a cowboy engineering buggy meaning design by the seat of the pants. No CAD with this one.
    Get the motor in place lay the axles out seat and add tubes around it.

With a normal direction spinning engine facing backwards needs to flip the axles.

So for the front I'm looking for LP D44 or LPd30 if it comes to it. What do you guys have? Stock gears 3.55 for the front.

Rear 8.8 D44, 29spline 8.25 custom LP D60 what do you have? I want 3.83 gears. Maybe even a model 20 I have 2 of those but the axle shafts suck.

Just going to weld both diffs.
    I have a couple steering boxes so that is not much of an issue.
    Just going to use the saab pump.

I'll just make drive shafts from old ones.

Tires plan on running the Hummer tires they sell rims 16.5 with 5 on 5.5
    at $100 a lot cheaper than stickies.

Need a winch what do you have one that is going to work often.

Brakes saab uses an electric brake booster going to give that a shot.

suspension this is where I'm going to need your help.
    What do you guys have left over? I was thinking of just running a stock TJ suspension link front and rear if not just run XJ, links front and leafs rear.

Depending on money might get air shocks but probably end up with stock coils.

Like I said we are not going for 1st but going for price and fun.
    It is still going to be fast.

Even a helping hand will be nice on this.
    I plan on starting after the April 9th comp.

What do you guys think?
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

sounds like a great concept. cant wait to see it unfold.

Comment

Working...
    X