MiniJK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniJK

Long time member, few year Jeep owner. Not that knowledgeable. Figure theres only one way to really start to learning and its baby steps. Ive gone back and forth a lot about doing things to the JK because of the warrany but I know theres things I can do now that definately would not be an issue with that. So Im going to start there.

Suggestions, reccomendations, instructional links, advice, jeep working 101 all welcome in here. Expect a lot of stupid questions because I sure as hell am no automotive expert. I got an A in Automotive Fundamentals 5 years ago, thats the extent

GiMi JK
    -swaybar QDs
    -front bumper mounted hellas
    spiffy aftermarket grab handle

impressive huh?

Im poking around on some JK forums and reading write ups. But I could really use some lessons in stuff here.

Im looking around for some random stuff, (I'm really not sure where to start) but I feel like theres a bunch of sites to choose from and I just dont have the knowledge of whos good sites to buy from and whos not.

As this is my only vehicle, its not going to become a crazy build that I try to break everytime we have an RC run. Its my DD and my job would not appreciate me not being able to get in for 2 weeks straght due to a broken Jeep. But full out stocker life just isnt as fun. Lift and tires are in the plans but down the road. Soooo suggest me some things I can work on for the time being based on what I said in here
    Last edited by Quartney; 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM.
    2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
    J10 project do want.
    "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

I would probaley look into skids, and some recovery points first and foremost.

Comment

X2 on the recovery points, it's not fun having to put a chain/cable around various parts and pieces.
      I would focus on skids that protect you long enough to get home like transfer case skid, maybe a tank skid.
      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

skids, bumpers, sliders....
        #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...products_id=43

And some 35's

Free Shipping and Free set of Bilstein shocks this weekend only
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Its nice to see one of these being wheeled!
            98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the imput guys! It seems the JKs come with skid plates.

Jeep JK Wrangler comes equipped with substantial underside armor designed to protect the transmission, transfer case and gas tank.
              reccomends getting something to protect the oil pan though so Ill look into that.

I do have 2 tow hooks on my front bumper and one in the back too, I guess I should actually get a tow strap though

Pasta I LOVE your ambition here haha but i dont have 2 grand to drop yet on it Im getting there though Saved the link though for future reference.
              J10 project do want.

Comment

sawzall and 35s
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

The skids on them are probably not trail worthy.
                  God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by LittleD View Post
                    The skids on them are probably not trail worthy.
                    i saw alot of these things when i worked for jeep they are pretty decent granted they aren't no skidrow plates but they are decent i would sliders, maybe a buydget boost to get you started and maybe a little bit bigger tire i know for a fact you can run a 32 on it stock maybe with a bb you can get a 33x10.50 on there
                    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by dizzy View Post
                      i saw alot of these things when i worked for jeep they are pretty decent granted they aren't no skidrow plates but they are decent i would sliders, maybe a buydget boost to get you started and maybe a little bit bigger tire i know for a fact you can run a 32 on it stock maybe with a bb you can get a 33x10.50 on there
                      It comes from the factory with 32's. You can run 33's stock but that WILL void your warranty
                      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Dear Courtney,

I would strongly recommend you do not modify your Jeep Brand Vehicle any further than it is right now due to warranty issues and the plain and simple fact that you do not work on the vehicle yourself. It would also be extremely foolish of you to spend money on a vehicle you do not outright own yet as well as spending money you don't have. If you do, then I stand corrected, but that does not stray from the fact that you are, in fact, technologically illiterate. Voiding your warranty will only cause more stress in your life as you will be reduced to sourcing someone else to modify your vehicle in trade of large sums of money, cookies, beer or sex.

Yes, there is room to learn how to modify and replace broken parts to vehicles, but the offroad trails are an unforgiving master and even under the lightest wheeling circumstances may the most disastrous breaks occur. There are many examples of critical parts failing on vehicles on light trails in this club, many of which actually took place on smooth pavement; imagine what rocks could do.

There will be naysayers to what I say, of course, and from their mouths they will spew sunshine and happiness from all corners of the globe about how wonderful owning such a capable vehicle is required to live. "Buy this" they may say and before you know it the money pit you have created yearns for each cent you make. Your jeep has proven over time it's limited capability on nothing more that what you have and street tires with the guise that all malfunctions and slashed tires will be taken under warranty at the dealer.

If you are willing to take upon the massive burden of owning an offroad vehicle and wheeling it Ten percent of the time and driving it on the road uncomfortably for Ninety percent of the time while also maintaining it yourself, then I say more power to you, I will not stop you nor will my consolation be given when you begin to regret your decisions.

A word from the Wise to those who aren't.
                        Philip J Larocca
                        Esteemed Moderator.
                        Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                          Dear Courtney, I would strongly recommend you do not modify your Jeep Brand Vehicle any further than it is right now due to warranty issues and the plain and simple fact that you do not work on the vehicle yourself. It would also be extremely foolish of you to spend money on a vehicle you do not outright own yet as well as spending money you don't have. If you do, then I stand corrected, but that does not stray from the fact that you are, in fact, technologically illiterate. Voiding your warranty will only cause more stress in your life as you will be reduced to sourcing someone else to modify your vehicle in trade of large sums of money, cookies, beer or sex. Yes, there is room to learn how to modify and replace broken parts to vehicles, but the offroad trails are an unforgiving master and even under the lightest wheeling circumstances may the most disastrous breaks occur. There are many examples of critical parts failing on vehicles on light trails in this club, many of which actually took place on smooth pavement; imagine what rocks could do. There will be naysayers to what I say, of course, and from their mouths they will spew sunshine and happiness from all corners of the globe about how wonderful owning such a capable vehicle is required to live. "Buy this" they may say and before you know it the money pit you have created yearns for each cent you make. Your jeep has proven over time it's limited capability on nothing more that what you have and street tires with the guise that all malfunctions and slashed tires will be taken under warranty at the dealer. If you are willing to take upon the massive burden of owning an offroad vehicle and wheeling it Ten percent of the time and driving it on the road uncomfortably for Ninety percent of the time while also maintaining it yourself, then I say more power to you, I will not stop you nor will my consolation be given when you begin to regret your decisions. A word from the Wise to those who aren't. Philip J Larocca Esteemed Moderator.
                          Lol phil. You and I will converse later on points if this. Holy hell on the lenght. bored this Monday?

The JK will not have anything done right now that will void warranty. Even after warranty is gone, it's not going to be crazy built like you srs wheelers. But I know there's smaller things I can do and learn about which may not make for an exciting build but I don't care really haha oh and yes. I will work on my own vehicle.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and as I begin researching and learning I'll find you're absolutely right and there's nothing I can really do at all to it. But that's the point of this thread really. To find all that out. I'm really just hoping for small stuff for the time being with the warranty. Then in a few years upgrade the tires a little and a lift to accomodate that. Maybe it's a stupid idea and I'll forget the whole thing in a year. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a cheap xj for fun instead? But either way no worries about me breaking the bank. This isn't gonna be anything fast. and my commissions at work started coming in so I'm paying extra on my 2 loans
                          J10 project do want.

Comment

I am not bored this cold and heartless Monday Morning, just merely pointing out the Unabated Truth and The Facts.
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

IMO if you aren't going to wheel that often, i wouldn't spend too much money on it right now until you can absolutely afford not only the parts, but the time and money it takes to fix and build it.

the main reason i haven't bought a jeep yet is cause of this. yes, i do have the money to buy one, but i do not have the time or the extra cash to worry about repairs and the stress that comes with hoping it makes it from one place to the next.
                              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Working...
                              X