Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder

I want to get a welder so i can learn how to weld. What should i get?
    I do not know much about welders. I began learning with a mig welder and then continued with an arc welder, the mig was much easier so im thinking i want a mig welder.
    2 Broncos are better than 1

i gots a millermatic 211, its cool cause i can run 110 or 220 input, and it has auto set.

i can run .30 or .35 size wire, and all kinds of cool stuff, it is a great machine and i absolutely love it.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

do you have 220 in your shop?

if so the lincoln weld packs work nice for the price (170-180 amps units) and can be found used on CL for $400-$500 in good shape
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Depends on what you plan on using it for, and how much you're willing to spend.

Most will tell you to make sure you buy something that runs off 220V if you are planning on welding anything around 1/8" or thicker.

I picked up a Lincoln 175(220V) off craigslist, from a guy who had like 10-12 of them brand new in box. They retail for around $700 and I got it for $400. Sure, something bigger would be nice, but to be honest it suits me perfectly. It's small and portable, yet still has enough balls to weld 1/4" pretty damn good.

If you stay with the big 3 (Miller, Lincoln, Hobart) you really can't go wrong. Stay away from the cheap Harbor Freight kinda junk, and spend plenty of time looking around for good deals. If you're patient, they are out there.

Comment

^^ lol nice
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Mig

Miller, Hobart-(Is Miller but cheaper parts used) Lincoln
            HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
            OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

i have a hobart 210 and love it..
              -Jason
              99WJ 4.0
              IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

Comment

Welding Machine-MIG Millermatic DVI
                The Millermatic DVI has a 30 to 175 amp operating range. It offers an output of 90 amps at 20 percent duty cycle while operating on 115 volts (the same as the Millermatic® 135) and an output of 150 amps at 40 percent duty cycle while operating on 230 volts (the Millermatic® 175 provides 130 amps at 30 percent duty cycle). The 115 VAC input offers welding capabilities of 22 gauge materials up to 3/16-in thick, while the 230 VAC input provides the ability to weld materials that are 22 gauge up to 3/8-in. thick.
                Used, Like New Condition.
                $799.00
                Call 973-478-5000
                http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/1748930360.html

too much?

Comment

Originally posted by Customjob View Post
                  Welding Machine-MIG Millermatic DVI
                  The Millermatic DVI has a 30 to 175 amp operating range. It offers an output of 90 amps at 20 percent duty cycle while operating on 115 volts (the same as the Millermatic® 135) and an output of 150 amps at 40 percent duty cycle while operating on 230 volts (the Millermatic® 175 provides 130 amps at 30 percent duty cycle). The 115 VAC input offers welding capabilities of 22 gauge materials up to 3/16-in thick, while the 230 VAC input provides the ability to weld materials that are 22 gauge up to 3/8-in. thick.
                  Used, Like New Condition.
                  $799.00
                  Call 973-478-5000
                  http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/1748930360.html

too much?
                  To be honest, I don't see where having the capability of running 110 or 220V on the same machine is really that amazing, unless you are carrying the welder around a ton and need both power sources.

I personally think it should be one or the other. If you have the option of running 220V, then look for a welder that runs off that. If running wire to your garage or whatever for 220V is out of the question, then you obviously have to settle for a 110V machine.

Once you wire up for 220V, you won't be touching the 110V power outlet ever again. It's not like the machine has the same welding capabilities on either power source.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. From my research, Miller tends to be a little more expensive than Lincoln or Hobart.
                  Last edited by Even; 05-20-2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Think this is worth 100 bux?
                    Millermatic 130xp
                    I think it has about the same capabilities as the millermatic 211 when running 110V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2759.l1259

Comment

Seems like a pretty good deal for $100, you won't really find anything much cheaper than that.

Before you buy it, try it out all all the different settings to make sure everything works good.

Comment

Working...
                      X