One Ton Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Ton Steering

Now that im done with my bumper, and sold the old one i have some extra cash...

So im looking to see if anyone has a 1 ton steering setup for an xj. I'm looking at the OTK setup from jcr but wanted to see if i can get a break on the $$.

Whatcha got?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

if youre on a budget run waggy steering
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
      if youre on a budget run waggy steering
      More info please. How is it better than stock?

Im not really on a budget, just trying to catch a break on this

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

You can build your own for less than the JCR setup, as long as you can weld fairly good it's pretty easy.

Grab some 1.5" DOM, tube inserts, and Chevy 1 ton TRE's.

I could probably help you if needed, although I'm honestly not that good at welding tube.

Comment

now, when i go OTK, what do i have to do to the TB and how hard is it to do?

Even, do you have any clue on how much tubing i will need?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
            now, when i go OTK, what do i have to do to the TB and how hard is it to do?

Even, do you have any clue on how much tubing i will need?
            You want to keep your track bar as close to parallel to the drag link as possible. So you would either raise the axle side mount, or lower the frame side mount.

7 feet(4ft. for tie rod, 3ft. for drag link roughly) of 1.5" OD 1/4" wall is what I used if you use weld-in tube inserts. You'll need 7/8" 18tpi inserts. The TRE's you can find at most auto parts stores.

This is the exact same thing, but you probably save money without shipping costs, and finding the tubing local. http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ds_p_1338.html

Or, some just drill and tap solid rod for the TRE's to thread into. I personally think that's kindof a pain.

Comment

In that pic, they just made a small scale of it in the pics right?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
                In that pic, they just made a small scale of it in the pics right?
                lol yea

Comment

ok, i thought it was $239 for just that small of a setup. I think i might just buy that setup, since it's $290 with shipping vs $350 for the jcr.

Have you or anyone else have any reviews for this or ran it in the past?

Edit: Just talked to my dad about buying the ballistic fab setup, and he goes "If you're going to do a one ton setup, why don't you buy some tubing, jam nuts, and tre's from advance and just build it your self" So i guess im making a pit stop on my way to uconn and see what logan has
                  Last edited by LittleD; 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Anyone know the going rate for 1.5" OD 1/4" wall tubing is? looking for around 7 feet of it.

If i can't get it for under $130, im gonna buy the Ballistic fab one and save money

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't find it cheaper than $130.

Down at Logan Steel I think it's something like $1 per lb in the bargain barn, and 7ft of tube shouldn't weigh more than ~30lbs.

Or, you could try Chapin and Bangs down in Bridgeport, although you would probably have to get an 8ft. section because that's usually the length they are cut. I had good luck with Chapin because I picked up an entire 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate for like 180 bucks, which is way less than $1 per lb. Logan wanted over $300 for the same size sheet.

Comment

Thanks, im gonna stop by logan on sat to see what they have, prolly won't buy anything on the spot though.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                        X