adjustable lower control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjustable lower control arms

I need a set of adjustable lower control arms. I have fixed ones but i need a set for up to a 6 in lift cause im at about 5.5. L.A's are out the question at the moment until i raise some $$

What are some good brands/sites that have decent products for a low budget build?

Edit: Would it just be a smarter idea to long arm it?
    Last edited by LittleD; 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

We can't really tell you what you can afford, so longarms are up to you.

Is making your own arms out of the question? I was pretty sure you said you have a welder.

Comment

yea i was just thinking about fabing some up. i have a welder, would you be able to help me with this project?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Not sure if im under thinking this but, could i take a piece of straight tubing, go from the cross member to the lower mount, and then branch a piece of tubing off that one and have that go to the uppers?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
          yea i was just thinking about fabing some up. i have a welder, would you be able to help me with this project?
          I could probably help depending on my work schedule.

Not sure if im under thinking this but, could i take a piece of straight tubing, go from the cross member to the lower mount, and then branch a piece of tubing off that one and have that go to the uppers?
          I was more thinking about making your own short arms, because it's pretty simple and straightforward if you have basic fab skills. You could make your own long arms, but that gets more fab time and money involved. You would either have to fab up a new crossmember that the arms can bolt to, or reinforce the unibody with stiffeners so you can weld mounts on. If you just weld them to the unibody they will rip off.

If you decided to go that route, I think the best way to go would be to copy something like this-

It's much easier to adjust caster if the uppers bolt to the lowers seperately(What Rustys/Treks/RC/etc. do), rather than welding the uppers directly to the lowers(what Iron Rock does).

Comment

Now where do mid-arms come into play, saw on here some people have done them. If i made my own short arms how would that be done? using dom tubing, some joints and just making them longer than the ones i have now?

This will be one of those weekend build type thing since i have lax practice till 6ish monday-friday
            Last edited by LittleD; 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Now where do mid-arms come into play, saw on here some people have done them.
              I'm pretty sure Sam is the only person who has done them. You'll still need stiffeners, and you would be looking at doing a 3-link. I can't imagine a mid arm setup that uses radius arms but maybe I'm wrong.

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7359

If i made my own short arms how would that be done? using dom tubing, some joints and just making them longer than the ones i have now?
              Pretty much.

I would use at least one joint per arm, but you could use a bushing on one of the ends to cut costs and keep ride quality decent. You'll want the tubing to be around 1/4" thick since they will be touching rocks.
              Last edited by Even; 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM.

Comment

How would i go about getting my caster right? what exactly is caster? and how can i tell if it is off? I didn't realize sam had a three link and i even looked under it today so nvm on the mid arm

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

How would i go about getting my caster right? what exactly is caster? and how can i tell if it is off? I didn't realize sam had a three link and i even looked under it today so nvm on the mid arm
                  You want to be around 4-7 degrees positive, I just eye it up.

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/CasterCamberToe.htm

Comment

if i were to take a picture of the axle with the wheel off, would you be able to tell how bad it is?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

no go to home depot and buy this http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 and place it on top of you knuckle

Comment

Working...
                      X