Reciever hitch hook or d-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reciever hitch hook or d-ring

After taking the jeep through some ice, i got it pretty stuck. I had 2 bolts that went through a hook and through the tie in for the bumper. 2nd pull that got ripped right off.

I have a receiver hitch mounted to the bumper and my question is this: Should i get a hook that slides into the receiver, or a hitch with a d-ring?

Any one have either of these that is willing to sell?
    Last edited by LittleD; 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

i'd do the d-ring reciever

Comment

oh i believe they are like 28 to 32 dollars new from 4wdrive hardware

Comment

or you can just take the slide that goes into the reciever and take the ball off and put a shackle in its place

Comment

My dad said that there used to be a army/navy place in brewster that sold extreme grade d-rings, does anyone know of such a place? if so is it still open?

I know i don't need anything other than a standard d ring but it would be nice to know it's more than strong enough
          Last edited by LittleD; 02-05-2010, 07:38 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

tractor supply co or harbort freight store have those
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              tractor supply co or harbort freight store have those
              I picked up a 20,000 lb d ring today, it is the hoop type so i don't need a pin for it. Im thinking of removing the ball part of my hitch, and welding the d-ring bracket to the downward angle part of the Receiver. Pics will be up tomorrow to show what i mean

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

thats pretty much more work than it is worth, why didn't you get a bow shackle and put it through the ball hole

1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                  thats pretty much more work than it is worth, why didn't you get a bow shackle and put it through the ball hole

I was going to do that but, there would be alot of room for the pin to move in.

For ex: If i was buried to where the recovery truck had to get a running start to yank me out, the pin would bend when it hits the other side of the hole.

Heres a ruff sketch of what im doing

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

No the pin would not bend, i have done it plenty of times pulling out bigger vehicles than mine and never had an issue. They will more than likely snap before they bend.
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                      No the pin would not bend, i have done it plenty of times pulling out bigger vehicles than mine and never had an issue. They will more than likely snap before they bend.
                      i beg to differ. pics will be up in a min

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

What are you using a little 1/4 inch one? They used to use them to lift 30,000 lb trench boxes at my last job, i highly doubt you are generating more that 30,000 lbs of force
                        2001 wj tbd
                        1974 5 ton

Comment

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

running the shackle through the hole has worked fine for me... earned me my H2 recovery sticker with it.
                            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                            MK2 Jetta > M3
                            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Welded up my rear d-block, along with my rear tie in's that also got welded to the unibody

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                              X