Little Trail Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Trail Fire

So driving up a trail today the 8 died, engine cut out, gauges and everything. See smoke coming out of the engine bay so i run around and open the hood. One of the wires coming off the starter solenoid had a bit of a flame on it. So i blew it out and unhooked the battery right away. As i investigated i found that a stray wire the previous owner had put in for the EFI was resting on the valve cover, melted and grounded itself out. Melted the insulation off most of the wire and then started then came the flames. So I taped up the melted insulation, replaced the fuses, made sure nothing was touching the valve cover and tried to start it back up. Would turn over but as soon as i would let the key go to the run position everything would cut off. So after a few minutes we decided the only option was a backwards roll start to see if that would do the trick. Needless to say, it worked. Was able to find a spot to turnaround and limp home. So now I'm going to have to go through the wires, make sure they aren't crispy, and most likely buy a new starter solenoid. Another fun day on the trail!! But the 8's a tank.
    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
    1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
    2001 TJ Sport - DD

I like that I got texted this whole story today in the form of muti-message texting.
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
      I like that I got texted this whole story today in the form of muti-message texting.
      your phone went off like 4-5 separate times in like 9 seconds
      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
      didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
      Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
      he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
      Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
      i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
        X2 lol, the CJ is a tank!
        I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
          your phone went off like 4-5 separate times in like 9 seconds
          I thought my phone was gonna catch fire too!
          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
          It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Working...
          X