Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer?

Im looking to buy a computer. I dont need anything too crazy. I just want to be able to go on the interweb with it and do my school work. I found a bunch of refurbished computers on ebay. This guy looks like he sells a lot of these things. I dont know much about computers and im not looking to spend too much. I found a Dell optiplex gx620 for about 300 with a monitor (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1) and was wondering if i should buy it. Any input?

Same guy has hp Compaq DC5100 for about the same price (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-HP-Compaq-D...item2eae7052a6)
    2 Broncos are better than 1

if youre just looking to do little stuff on it have you thought about getting a netbook? I got one new for $299.00. Just another option
    2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
    J10 project do want.
    "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

I think i may want a desktop. I will be writing essays on this and dont know if i want something that little, but thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Customjob View Post
        I think i may want a desktop. I will be writing essays on this and dont know if i want something that little, but thanks for the idea.
        I always lean towards buying a desktop because laptops are just so small and aerodynamic; essentially they can be easily throw, which is a 'do not want'.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          I always lean towards buying a desktop because laptops are just so small and aerodynamic; essentially they can be easily throw, which is a 'do not want'.
          Good point

Comment

a gx620 is what we are phazing out here at work. Its nothing crazy but it will work for your needs. its got xp pro with 2 gigs of ram so thats more then enough, good hd space ect...

i say do it up

dont get the compaq
            Last edited by grundlepunch; 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM.
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I got the computer yesterday. Got it hooked up today. It works but the fan is loud. Is that hard to replace?

Comment

Originally posted by Customjob View Post
                  I got the computer yesterday. Got it hooked up today. It works but the fan is loud. Is that hard to replace?
                  loud as in its spinning real fast or its making an odd noise?

if its running to fast you may be able to adjust it by booting to the bios and looking for a speed option there. but one thing to remember is that this is a "small form factor" pc so it does not have a lot of space inside it, it needs those fans to run properly or you could have some issues.

if the fan is actually messed up its uber easy to replace
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

ok cool that is easy. It sounds like it is messed up. Sounds like it is rubbing on something or rattling

Comment

if you pop the cover the cpu fan just sits on top on a few rubber isolation mounts IIRC

check to make sure that it is seated properly on those mounts and there is no gunk in it.

also if you have 3in1 oil there is usually a spot on the back of the fan (might have to peal up a sticker) where you can put a drop or 2 in, should quiet it up a bit

Comment

ill go check it out, thanks

Comment

Ok, so i realized i have no idea what you are talking about

Which side of the tower is the "cover" and do i need to take any screws out to get it off?

Comment

stand the computer upright.. there is a "lever" on the top in the back, it slides to the rear opening one side of the case

Comment

wow, that was easy, im dumb.

so it doesnt look like anything is in the fan but here is a video. sounds like the fan is bad. dunno if volume is loud enough my sound sucks on this comp.

Comment

Working...
                              X