Opine, All Ye Gun Savants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opine, All Ye Gun Savants

I am looking into getting a handgun for both home defence, and personal defence when I go out on extended hiking/camping adventures.

Some of my criteria, I'd prefer something chambered in 40 S&W or 45 ACP, but I'd be open to 9mm as I know they are the most widely usEd and cheapest to shoot. Reliability is pretty key, as if I take it into the woods with me I want it to fire when I need It to.

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Revolver/semiauto, Fullsize/compact, composite frame/steel frame, whatever is good.

The limiting factor would be my price range, which if I decide to go ahead and purchase something would be something unde $600.

That being said some of the guns I have been looking at are the Taurus pt1911, the ParaOrdnance 1911, the RIA 1911 (I love the look and feel of the 1911), also some of the ruger and Taurus compact revolvers, and the newer comp frame pistols such as the Glock 21, S&W M&P45 and the Springfield XD45.

Again, regale me with knowledge
    dirty30

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
    Opine
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Whatever you do, don't let that bear get your tuna sandwich.
      Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        Please chop a Mohawk onto his head and make my avatar, thanks

And that ain't no tuna sandwich Chris, ITS A SPICY TUNA ROLLL!!!!! wilderness sushi formywin
        dirty30

Comment

I bought a Springfield XD .40 with the 4" barrel. I carry it all the time and its a great gun to shoot. Ammo is not that expensive either.
          I need the 4.0L!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Whatever you do, DO NOT PURCHASE TAURUS. They are absolute bottom of the barrel Brazillian filth that have somehow come into the US Market and now slander gun stores with their very presence.

I know this pains me to say, but if you plan to carry it concealed, consider one of the plastic framed auto-loaders such as a Glock or Springfield Armory XD.

For a while I've been eying the FNP45 which is a plastic framed .45 ACP handgun with a 15 round magazine. Though, the downside of course is its massive size. It was designed to be a military / police handgun and to be used in open carry leg holsters. You can Conceal Carry large stuff, but it may get...uncomfortable. But for $600, you can't go wrong.

Above all else I recommend a Kimber or Colt 1911, if of course, you are comfortable with your firearm handling skills and discipline and can carry it Cocked and Locked.

If you are looking for a great revolver that is light, compact and lays down a good punch, the Ruger LCR can be had for under $300. It is chambered for .38 Special +P.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

That Was why I was leaning away from the taurus, I've heard most of it's internals are MIM.

I saw the FNP45 also, I wouldn't mind the size but it's on the higher end of my range.
              But goddamn I want a 1911...
              dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                That Was why I was leaning away from the taurus, I've heard most of it's internals are MIM.

I saw the FNP45 also, I wouldn't mind the size but it's on the higher end of my range.
                But goddamn I want a 1911...
                Oh for Christ's sake, don't go nuts over the MIM stuff. Kimber has MIM parts in their guns and they rarely fail, and if they do, they are so easy to replace. All major manufacturers have MIM parts or else the gun would cost $1500. The entire Ruger line IS MIM, including their damn receivers.

If you want a 1911, get one, even if you don't use it as a carry around gun, you'll still have a marvelous piece of engineering.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the FNP45, but the 1911 is just too awesome for me to handle so I may be obtaining another in the semi-distant future.

The reason you stay away from Taurus is because the fucking gun is an unsalvageable piece of shit from the start, MIM or not.
                Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

get a used kimber ultra carry 2 i see them go for $500

.45 acp. i wore one in a inside the waist holster in the small of my back. not to bad. my friend has it and fucking loves it. I 100% recommend both 1911 and .45acp

"when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I like that Kimber

Im getting my concealed permit soon and will be purchasing a handgun soon. Phil, what are your opnions on Sigs? I held one and it was really comfortable. I really would like something with a minimum of .40. Also want to get a compact and I was thinking the Ruger LCP.
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                      I like that Kimber

Im getting my concealed permit soon and will be purchasing a handgun soon. Phil, what are your opnions on Sigs? I held one and it was really comfortable. I really would like something with a minimum of .40. Also want to get a compact and I was thinking the Ruger LCP.
                      SiGs are good. Always have been.
                      sigpic

Comment

a golden eagle will fit all your needs
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          a golden eagle will fit all your needs
                          bahahahah.

'What is the best gun ever? Is it the Golden Eagle?'
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm partial to the Golden Gun myself.

Although, the Moonraker Laser isn't too bad either.

Comment

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2423 this is the 1911 we were talking about

dont get a full size for your carry piece
                              1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                              2001 wj tbd
                              1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                              X