Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaica sounds like a pretty fun place to be right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica sounds like a pretty fun place to be right now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37320150..._news-americas

Jamaica: Gun battles intensifying, spreading

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica's security forces clashed for a second day with masked gunmen allied with an alleged drug kingpin facing extradition to the U.S. as fighting spread Monday to more volatile slums around the capital.

Police and soldiers came under sustained heavy fire in the West Kingston stronghold of Christopher "Dudus" Coke, who has been indicted in the U.S. on drug and arms trafficking charges. Military helicopters with mounted guns buzzed above the impoverished area between plumes of black smoke.

A series of explosions boomed across West Kingston while hundreds of security agents assaulted Coke's barricaded base of Tivoli Gardens in a coordinated operation against drug gangsters whose arsenals rival police firepower.

Exact details were not known about casualties. Reuters reported that at least four people had been killed, including two policemen, one soldier and a civilian, and several others were wounded in two days of violence. The soldier was shot dead during Monday's fighting at Tivoli Gardens, the Caribbean island's first housing project.

'It is just too much'
    A woman in the besieged slum told Radio Jamaica that she and her terrified family were hunkered down in their apartment as a firefight raged outside.

"I really pray that somebody will find the love in their heart and stop this right now. It is just too much, my brother," the woman told the station, the sound of gunfire popping nearby.

Clashes broke out Sunday, six days after Prime Minister Bruce Golding dropped his opposition to extraditing Coke, who has ties to the governing party. Golding had stalled the case for nine months claiming the U.S. indictment relied on illegal wiretap evidence, but he caved in to a growing public outcry over his stand.

After the reversal, Coke's supporters began barricading streets and preparing for battle.

West Kingston, which includes the Trenchtown slum where reggae superstar Bob Marley was raised, is the epicenter of the violence. But on Monday, security forces also came under fire in areas outside that patchwork of gritty slums in the capital on Jamaica's southeastern coast, far from the virtually crime-free tourist resorts on the north shore.

Gunmen shot at police while trying to erect barricades in a poor section of St. Catherine parish, which is just outside the two parishes where the government on Sunday implemented a monthlong state of emergency.

A police station in an outlying area of Kingston parish also was showered with bullets by a roving band of gunmen with high-powered rifles.

sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

cody left for jamaica today.
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
      cody left for jamaica today.
      wat.
      sigpic

Comment

according to his facebook, he has left for jamaica as of 19 hours ago.
        mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
        2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
        and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

The drug trade is deeply entrenched in Jamaica, which is the largest producer of marijuana in the region and where gangs have become powerful organized crime networks involved in international gun smuggling. It fuels one of the world's highest murder rates; the island of 2.8 million people had about 1,660 homicides in 2009.
          sigpic

Comment

thank god its not columbia then we would have a problem
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

Well, hope Cody has a Good Time, maybe he won't get murdered.
              sigpic

Comment

god i hope they dont produce magnets there
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

BORKED

Sweet place for a vacation.
                  sigpic

Comment

i'm supposed to go to kingston in 3 weeks
                    Originally posted by Fast Orange
                    if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                    I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Ruecifur View Post
                      i'm supposed to go to kingston in 3 weeks
                      Bring a bullet proof vest.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                        Bring a bullet proof vest.
                        want to make me a surfboard out of kevlar?
                        Originally posted by Fast Orange
                        if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                        Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                        I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Ruecifur View Post
                          want to make me a surfboard out of kevlar?
                          If I had access to that much Kevlar, I would. Probably wouldn't float too well, though.
                          sigpic

Comment

Their troop carrier needs new tires.
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                              shoot the dog! it's eating all the weed!
                              I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
                              X