Computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question

I took my 200gb hard drive out of my other computer to use as an external hard drive for my laptop. I bought the cord (IDE to USB). I plug it in, it shows it installed the driver, but I can not locate it in "my computer". Anyone know where I can look? My laptop I am using is Windows Vista.
    88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

I cant remember exactly where is on vista(bene using this mac to long) but device driver manager is on there somewhere. trying running it in the run thing at the bottom of the search tab. It should show up in there, then just rename the drive and it should show up on your computer
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

I see it says "Sata to USB...." in when I go into "device manager" and "disk drives". However it shows up no where else and I cant cut-and-paste from the device manager. It's weird that my flash drive or ipod will show up in "my computer"
      88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

its a naming issue, you have to do something stupid to re name it. Id figure it for ya man, i dont have anything that runs vista though. Just XP and OSX
        You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Try clicking start, right clicking the computer tab, click manage, then disk management under the storage tab. It should show up in there even if it is not in my computer. You should be able to rename the drive in this screen as well.

Comment

It didnt show up there even. Does the hard drive need to be powered?

Comment

yea the hard drive needs to be powered unless it is a 2.5in drive out of a laptop. your ide to usb adaptor didn't have a power adaptor? You should be able to hear and feel the drive spinning if it has power.

Comment

Originally posted by Wide-J View Post
                It didnt show up there even. Does the hard drive need to be powered?
                what adapter did you buy? you need a powa supply
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

This is what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

How do I use the red cable or the one with 4 wires to hook up to my lappy?

Comment

The red cable is for SATA hard drives. From the picture it looks like the other cable in the kit is to let you use a standard 4 pin power supply lead on a SATA drive. Sounds like the kits you got did not come with a power adaptor like this for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-101-_-Product . you can either try to buy an ac adaptor by it's self or use th other computer as a power supply if it is a temp thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X