No announcement yet.

This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

read the post above i edited my guess on the cost of the suspension also noting that IFS is significantly more expensive than a simple 4 link and a set of coilovers which is what i used as a basis for my guess. assuming that you can't just make links out of a piece of DOM and instead need to have pieces engineering and machined specifically for the application.

ohhhh and its some damn good crack
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
      i guess i'm another person that doesn't think that truck is really worth 250k bucks.
      all these are guesses:
      Chassis- around 15 k max for all the tube work
      suspension and steering- 10 k max with coilovers and custom made arms er watever else comprises idependent setups.
      I'm guessing theres some crazy motor under the hood, but you can't make me believe there is more than 30k into the drivetrain, when i can buy a crate 426 hemi for 13k.
      tires and wheels 2-3k
      all that flashy stuff, bumpers, lights- 5-6k
      interior.... seats, computers, navigation stuff etc- 8 k max
      anything else i might have missed- 20k
      an extra 10k just for shits an giggles....

that all adds up to around 100k dollars which seems alittle more reasonable than 250k.
      which makes sense, thats about the average cost of a "modified" style race car and probably close to twice the cost of a very well built and competent rock buggy.
      YAAA WHAT HE SAID haha

Comment

used class two buggies go for 140k to 200k. I guess everyone in the desert scene is just a bunch of crack smokers
        You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
          used class two buggies go for 140k to 200k. I guess everyone in the desert scene is just a bunch of crack smokers
          this really makes me wonder how great the crack out there is, because you could build from the ground up an extremely competent buggy on custom 9's, with a supercharged LS1, and all kinds of crazy shit for like 80-120k bucks.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

read the post above i edited my guess on the cost of the suspension also noting that IFS is significantly more expensive and complex than a simple 4 link and a set of coilovers which is what i used as a basis for my guess.

ohhhh and its some damn good crack
            I compare it to the Grand Wagoneer.

Think about it. That vehicle cost $45,000-50,000 NEW back in the 1970s and 1980s, and what's in it? Leafs at all 4 corners, a lethargic AMC360, D44(s) or AMC20, leather interior and a lot of bullshit wiring. You can probably build the same thing today for $15,000 if you really wanted to, but you still don't factor in what it takes to build something like that. These trophy trucks are the Ferrari's or the desert racing world, everything on them is unique and hand crafted and you absolutely get what you pay for.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

from what i hear the desert folk prefer meth
              but anyways just because they sell for high prices doesn't mean they couldnt build their own for WAYWAYWAY cheaper

Comment

this really makes me wonder how great the crack out there is, because you could build from the ground up an extremely competent buggy on custom 9's, with a supercharged LS1, and all kinds of crazy shit for like 80-120k bucks.
                a buggy on custom 9s and an ls1 will get its face mopped by a trophy truck every day and twice on tuesday for laughs
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

you just answered your own question. you are talking about custom 9s and supercharged LS1s lol. That kinda speak is childs play to those guys. The tuning and a research into the engine along. Custom 9s? what they hell do they care about custom 9s? Custom 9s arent even in the class of desert racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                    I compare it to the Grand Wagoneer.

Think about it. That vehicle cost $45,000-50,000 NEW back in the 1970s and 1980s, and what's in it? Leafs at all 4 corners, a lethargic AMC360, D44(s) or AMC20, leather interior and a lot of bullshit wiring. You can probably build the same thing today for $15,000 if you really wanted to, but you still don't factor in what it takes to build something like that. These trophy trucks are the Ferrari's or the desert racing world, everything on them is unique and hand crafted and you absolutely get what you pay for.
                    this probably is the loss in my logic.

To realize that the parts on these things are not "off-the-shelf" nessesarily and are made by a myriad of outside vendors probably does drive the cost of these vehicles up alot. and what rj said, the R&D that goes into those parts also probably sends costs through the roof. Still though 250k seems like soooo much.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

when u said buggy i didn't think you were talking about the trucks, i assumed you were talking about some kind of crawling style buggy.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholasdances View Post
                        from what i hear the desert folk prefer meth
                        but anyways just because they sell for high prices doesn't mean they couldnt build their own for WAYWAYWAY cheaper
                        a trophy truck isnt something you build in your garage, even if you are the fucking Pope of fabrication. Well if you want to be competitive and win anyway

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          a buggy on custom 9s and an ls1 will get its face mopped by a trophy truck every day and twice on tuesday for laughs
                          in the desert hell yea i agree with that, but i'd like to see one of these trucks run the hammers.

ForSure Motorsports
                          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

in the desert hell yea i agree with that, but i'd like to see one of these trucks run the hammers.
                            well theres a reason they are desert racing trucks and not KOH buggies haha...ultra4 is another class altogether (literally)
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

i the desert hell yea, but i'd like to see one of these trucks run the hammers.
                              They aren't designed to run Hammers.

More flawed logic.

They are designed to run 1000 mile open desert, not a 200 mile 1/3 rock 2/3 speed course.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

when u said buggy i didn't think you were talking about the trucks, i assumed you were talking about some kind of crawling style buggy.

Comment

Working...
                                X