Need Laptop Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Laptop Help

My sister used my brothers vista code on her computer and it got locked up, we sent it to a friend to have it wiped clean and repaired, new mother board and drivers and whatnot. Long story short i got it for Christmas and now the screen will go black at random times and i can't do anything unless i restart it.

What could be causing this, overheating?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

check the control panel's power settings first and go from their
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
      My sister used my brothers vista code on her computer and it got locked up, we sent it to a friend to have it wiped clean and repaired, new mother board and drivers and whatnot. Long story short i got it for Christmas and now the screen will go black at random times and i can't do anything unless i restart it.

What could be causing this, overheating?
      reading this paragraph of nonsense makes my head hurt.
      why would a "locked up" vista code warrant a new mother board?
      just say you pirateted the software and now the shit dont work.

oh and its hard to make any sort of prediction on whats up with the computer without looking at it physically
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

i don't know exactly what was done on it, just know that everything had to be messed with.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

x2 on what dana said.

Comment

Is it a Dell? And was the work done at Geek Squad?
            -Kyle
            2000 XJ - it still almost looks like one.
            http://www.sira4x4.net

Comment

if the motherboard was replaced, there is a possibility that the connector from the screen to the motherboard could be loose/not connected properly

or its over heating, bad video ect...
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

it was worked on by a friend that does comp stuff for fedex, ill ask him to troubleshoot it

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

ok - since you didn't get the hint. lol.

What type of laptop is it?
                  -Kyle

Comment

dell

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Most likely - the guy didn't know what he was doing and broke the ribbon between the motherboard and monitor or the connector itself. Used to see that all the time.

Do you have an external monitor (CRT or LCD) you can plug in to see if it's the PC shutting off or if it's just the display turning off?
                      -Kyle

Comment

yea, i have a monitor that my mom uses cause her screen is dead on hers, ill check tommarow

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Cool - lemme know whatcha find

Depending on what you find, You may need to go into the event log to see what happens right before the screen goes off. If it's an overheat or hardware failure (not the screen) it will show something in the log as a critical error.
                          -Kyle

Comment

it happens usually when im using it and it is sitting on top of a down comforter, could this be causing over heating. Also some times the thing will freeze, go black then come back on

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

You never want to use a laptop on a surface like that without something underneath it to keep the vents clear from the fabric.
                              -Kyle

Comment

Working...
                              X