auto school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto school

i figured i'd post up on here and get some advice from any of you who have gone to school for auto mechanic. my brother is currently looking into a few schools and i just wanted to know if anyone has had a really good (or bad) experience with one...what advice you may have, etc. he's from LI but isn't afraid to go away, so anything is really open for suggestion right now...thanks guys!
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

get a job in a shop and learn through them. those schools are a big waste of time and money
    2 tj's
    3 yj's
    2 xj's
    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

I would tell him to try and find a job as an apprentice. Explain to them you want to learn and you want to be challenged.
      Is he coming to CT?

On the job experience is way more important than schooling, anyone can pass those degrees.
      See if you can get into a dealer specific training for you best in depth knowledge.

It would be better to work for peanuts then spend thousands on schooling.
      But the 50% off Snap-on tools is definitely worth a class or two.

I took a couple courses at Naugatuck Valley, Automatic and Manual transmissions, the only reason I took them is because Sikorsky at the time would pay for any degree programs.
      It was like going to kinder garden everyone student complained about too much work and goofed off the whole time really hard to learn anything. and if you do know something they stick you with the dumbest kid to help the teacher out.

I would say save your money and go straight into work. Pump gas, change tires, oil changes, what every it takes eventually you will work you way up.

Look for a shop that has a lot of cars left in the parking lot over night then you know they do major repairs you cannot do a tranny, head, motor in one day.

There is no degree or anything required to work on cars ASE just makes you look better you still need something like 2 years of experience before you can take the test.

Just my opinion.

Is he looking to become a mechanic, body man, customs, or racecars?
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

he really would like to get into racecars, he was looking at UTI but it is just sooooo expensive and totally not worth it IMO...i think they were offering him a free $1000 snap-on set, but i just dont know...ill talk to him when i get home later today and tell him to try and find something and just get experience...he's registered to take classes at a school close to my house for this upcoming semester and i told him just to do it and then once this semester is over to figure it out and get started
        2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

This guy is good.

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          I would tell him to try and find a job as an apprentice. Explain to them you want to learn and you want to be challenged.
          Is he coming to CT?

On the job experience is way more important than schooling, anyone can pass those degrees.
          See if you can get into a dealer specific training for you best in depth knowledge.

It would be better to work for peanuts then spend thousands on schooling.
          But the 50% off Snap-on tools is definitely worth a class or two.

I took a couple courses at Naugatuck Valley, Automatic and Manual transmissions, the only reason I took them is because Sikorsky at the time would pay for any degree programs.
          It was like going to kinder garden everyone student complained about too much work and goofed off the whole time really hard to learn anything. and if you do know something they stick you with the dumbest kid to help the teacher out.

I would say save your money and go straight into work. Pump gas, change tires, oil changes, what every it takes eventually you will work you way up.

Look for a shop that has a lot of cars left in the parking lot over night then you know they do major repairs you cannot do a tranny, head, motor in one day.

There is no degree or anything required to work on cars ASE just makes you look better you still need something like 2 years of experience before you can take the test.

Just my opinion.

Is he looking to become a mechanic, body man, customs, or racecars?
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

I would like to try Wyotech or something like that but just so expensive.

Most schools are sponsored by Snap-On Mac etc. you just need a student ID I don't actually remember them asking for it.
            Naugy Vally was 50% off up to $8000 list no electronics and 1 box at %50 off. I'm sure most are like that.

Racecars you are definitely going to have to work for peanuts for a long time just too many people that want to do it. It is more who you know at that point.
            I worked at Vintage Racing Services in Stratford and Chassis Dynamics in Oxford both of which I had an in.
            And I have a friend that works for dale earnhardt inc. and he also had an in.

Racecars are completely different, long long long hours during race season my friend at DEI worked lie 80hr weeks and was the jack man for one of the cars, he had no life during the season.
            There you will need to know more fabrication and tweaking suspensions. Engines are usually only touched by the engine builder.

As for a car mechanic you want to get good at diagnostics, replacing parts is the easy part.

Tell him to buy a snap-on vantage MT2400 ebay it, I have th 5.0 version I think it does up to 2002 cars.
            It is a graphing multimeter that has a description how to test every sensor where it's located what pins to use what the signal should look like the limits etc.
            You can test crank/cam position, MAP, TPS, O2, IAC, Ignition Module, ignition/injector signals basically every sensor plus it is a multi meter.
            New there like $3000

Practice testing sensors on all your cars.
            Teach yourself how to use it that will definitely give a good impression.

I would say that is the number 1 tool you need to diagnose a problem.
            Scanners only tell you what the code is this will tell how the sensor is performing.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

thanks so much justin, i will definitely show him all of this when i get home
              2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

i went to lincoln tech and personally, it was useless.
                I agree that the experience is worth much more than the schooling.
                if your friend knows absolutely nothing about cars just read an auto mechanics book and they will know as much as i learned in school.
                (do not go to lincoln tech in mahwah)
                2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

Andrew went to Penn Tech and got 50% off all snap on tools as well. He can tell you more about the school when he gets home from work.
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

sweet! thanks guys! this is saving my dad a headache and a half haha
                    2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

every school i looked at had the tool discount.

i know some shops that wont even hire uti graduates because 98% of them suck at life.

i went to neit for 18 months

i worked in a shop for 8 months

i have learned 3 times the amount of stuff in the shop than at school.

neit was basically good for the cheaper tools and a piece of paper with my name on it.

the automotive job market sucks balls right now (but what doesnt?) and my advice would be to look into a different career and check out other options before commiting.
                      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I really liked the penn tech auto program. Most of the teachers were great and spent a lot of time in the auto industry so they had a lot of experience. However I did have 1 teacher that didnt really teach too well but knew his shit if you talked to him 1 on 1. They have classes from engine machining to hybrid vehicles and everything in between. They offer a lot of elective classes like the machining class that are supposed to be good. They also have a good welding program if he wants to get into a few of those classes. I was in class from 8am to about 3 or 4 each day so its a lot of work especially if you have other night classes.
                        As for the town, williamsport, it sucks. very boring and it is a dry campus. So you gotta really get out and meet people to have some fun. If he is into jeeps and trucks and all that than he shouldnt ahve trouble meeting people. But it is very boring out there. But if you want a good aspiring mechanic/business start, I would say its a good place to go.
                        I am also going for the 4 year auto program which gets you a Bachelors degree, not just an associates. Thats the only reason I went there. But if you are looking for a good 2 year auto program than I wouldnt hesitate looking into it. I had fun and thought it was a good start.
                        However, as with any tech college, or any college, you go for that piece of paper that separates you from the rest. Even if you dont think it was a good education, you still have that paper

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I went to UTI and worked at a shop at the same time. Yes UTI was expensive but for me it was for 15 months with Ford FACT. You also get the option to go to specific training for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche. I definetly learned more in a shop then at school. At UTI in Norwood, MA you had to get your own apartment, they had no dorms. Any other questons regarding UTI let me know.
                          2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                          1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

i've been going to naugatuck valley for almost two years. its nothing special, but the teachers are cool and everything is pretty laid back. i agree with the other person who said it's like kindergarten haha. the shop is a wreck though..tools are always missing, equipment is always broke..
                            they teach basics, but i went in knowing barely anything so i've learned a shit ton..but i also devote 99% of my free time reading/doing homework/studying extra to help myself.

the only downside is that i am having the hardest time in the world trying to find a job starting out.
                            Last edited by skippy; 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM. Reason: typo!
                            erika. sweat and dirt;

00 xj & 93 yj.

Comment

i took automotive in college as an elective. was def cool and an awesome professor...but yeah camden county college sucks...lol
                              2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
                              J10 project do want.
                              "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

Working...
                              X