Ice, 1. Me, 0.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice, 1. Me, 0.

Ruined my perfect driving record tonight. Honestly that bothers me the most. I'd never been in an accident of my own or in someone elses car. I was driving as carefully as possible but the road I was on had not been sanded or salted all night long. Nor does it receive heavy traffic on a daily basis, never mind midnight on Sunday/ Monday morning. I just had my foot on the gas enough to maintain an even speed and that alone was enough to kick the rear end out, sending me into a telephone pole. You can see the black ice on the road in the bottom picture.

Hopefully they total it. The Patriot on here has a 97 I really want. I'd like to keep it stock but lift it and toss my tires on it. Obviously I don't wheel like, ever. But I do use the liftedness/ bumpers/ recovery stuff often which makes me want another XJ. So there you have it, shit happens.
    Last edited by Adam; 12-14-2009, 03:18 AM.
    2000 XJ
    2000 A.C.E. 750

damn dude that sucks
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Yeah. The worst part is I had just left work and we were all talking about the amount of accidents all over the state we heard on the scanner. Annnnnnd 5 minutes later, I'm a statistic.
      2000 XJ
      2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

you jinxed yourself
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

sorry to see something like that happen to you are you ok?

Comment

Yeah I'm fine. Had my seat belt on, saw it coming so I kind of braced for impact, and thankfully no air bag deployment. I'm lucky there were some small guide wires on the side of the road otherwise I would have rolled into a ditch.
            2000 XJ
            2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

Sorry to hear Adam, at least you are ok.
              2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
              1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Wow that sucks man. Good thing you're ok though
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

That sucks dude, I am glad your ok. I am pretty sure they will total it. my friends got totaled from a 10mph fender bender on the same corner b/c it dented in the frame and cracked it. Buy it back after its totaled and use the parts.
                  Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Almost happened to me yesterday, luckily I missed the tree and ended up sideways in someones driveway.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

back end kicked out on me on 195 leaving uconn last night. it was only a little patch so I hit dry pavement and recovered. but i was barely on the gas either. black ice is the devil
                      87 Comanche 4.0 4wd

Comment

Be glad you weren't part of this:

http://www.connpost.com/ci_13990360

SHELTON -- A mixture of rain and ice on a hilly section of Route 110 caused a chain reaction, 50-car pileup Sunday afternoon.

A preliminary investigation shows at least 46 people received minor injuries and six were transported to area hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

"Most of the injured were checked out at the scene," said Assistant Fire Chief Nick Verdicchio, public information officer for the Shelton Fire Department.

In addition to people, at least six dogs were in the damaged vehicles.

The accident happened around 12:45 p.m. "It was raining at the time and there was a rain/ice mix that covered the road and turned it into a sheet of ice," Verdicchio said.

The section of Route 110 where the accident took place runs from the White Hills section, down a sharp incline, to the city's downtown. He said the cars collided just north of Indian Well State Park. "We're assuming they came around the bend at the bottom of the hill" and, not realizing other cars had already collided, began "to crash into one another."

"It was chaos out there," he said.

Mayor Mark Lauretti was not at the scene but was in touch with emergency responders afterward.

"It was one of those things that just snuck up on people. They started sliding before they even understood what was going on," said Lauretti. "It was one of those flash freezings that people got caught up in and caused havoc."

He said there
                        Advertisement
                        have been issues with that half-mile stretch of Route 110 before but never like this. "Nothing even remotely close to this magnitude," he said.

Verdicchio said the fire department was already busy with a number of other accidents caused by the weather -- including a number of accidents on the exit ramps off Route 8 -- when the 50-car pileup happened.

He said afterward "there was an extensive procedure to get tow trucks in there" to remove all the damaged vehicles.

Verdicchio said a number of the cars involved "were disabled" and that a number of those involved in the accident were transported to the Echo Hose Fire Department and Echo Hose EMS for shelter because of the inclement and cold weather conditions.

He said Shelton fire units from White Hills, Echo Hose and Pine Rock Park were on the scene as well as Shelton police and Shelton EMS.

EMS units from a number of surrounding communities supplied mutual aid, including Ansonia, which sent its Mass Casualty Unit, he said.

The cleanup on Route 110 took several hours, he said. The road was reopened about 6 p.m.
                        Shit was BAD yesterday.
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

This is why i didnt make it to the meet and greet. Jackie and I passed a F-550 pulling a 20+ foot horse trailer that jackknifed going down a hill on 287. The truck was in a ditch all wrecked up and the horses did not seem to pleased.

But anyway that sucks man. hopefully you get it all straightened out

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Oh man...that was worse than what i was picturing..It's almost a good thing you got the new front bumper put on. That looks like it got most the damage. Hope today goes well, see you Wed.

It poured here in Reading yesterday morning and i was surprised how icy it wasnt here at all. 20min north of here in Hamburg the roads were icy and real bad. Just got rain, no ice here. Be safe everyone!
                            "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but rising up everytime we fail."

-Melanie-

Comment

that sucks dude, at least youre okay, i had a short trip home last night and virtually the whole way was icy, they had the main road running through my town sanded at least but it was still really slick and it doesnt negate the fact that shit like this can happen at any time.

and to everyone: make sure you never take for granted the fact that your vehicle can combat dirt, snow, and rain, cause theres not much else but tank treads and really beefy tire studs that can take on ice. be careful out there guys
                              2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                              1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Working...
                              X