towing a vehicle home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing a vehicle home

A friend of mine offered me her old car for free. Its a late 90's MKIII Jetta. I know it ran at one point in time, because I rode in about 2 years ago. Its been sitting ever since and I'd much rather tow it the half dozen miles back to my house.

I have two axle straps and a recovery strap. I was thinking about just towing it that way, or with a chain and having someone else sit in the VW and apply the brakes when needed. I'd have to use the axle strap since I have no rear recovery point which sucks.

Anyone see anything terrible wrong with this, other than the fact that its highly illegal? I mean, think it'll be okay for a couple miles with no p/s and brakes? I want to avoid starting it and running the shitty oil gas and other fluids through it.
    Last edited by Adam; 11-28-2009, 03:58 PM.
    2000 XJ
    2000 A.C.E. 750

AAA?
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Don't have AAA. Its been on my to do list for quite some time.
      2000 XJ
      2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

Probably the greatest thing you could ever do with $100 other then cheap hookers and blow.

Will has been towing DM all around CT with AAA.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

ive done the same thing with my buddy's YJ when he blew his tranny out in the trail, needless to say by the time we made it about a mile through the trails and like 4 miles to his house, his brakes were literally smoking because of the constant riding he did to keep his jeep far enough to not hit mine.

id find someone with AAA, rent a u-haul tow dolly or find someone with a trailer
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

do it in the middle of the night and the cops wont care as much. done it at least 20 times, sometimes all the way across town adn only stopped once. the cop said throw your hazards on
            2 tj's
            3 yj's
            2 xj's
            i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
              do it in the middle of the night and the cops wont care as much. done it at least 20 times, sometimes all the way across town adn only stopped once. the cop said throw your hazards on
              I was thinking that either A, that is a great idea or B, they will think I'm stealing it.
              2000 XJ
              2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

just drive it home... does it run? if yes then drive it 6 miles.
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                  just drive it home... does it run? if yes then drive it 6 miles.
                  x2
                  go there and try to get it running and then just drive it home, throw a battery in it and see what happens

Comment

hrm . . never thought of that. i never had that problem
                    2 tj's
                    3 yj's
                    2 xj's
                    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Dillon did this mid day through the middle of town with his XJ
                      Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

i towed a non-running, ride-on mower six miles and through milford center on a friday afternoon and didn't have any problems. Just put yo hazards on and go for it
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                          i towed a non-running, ride-on mower six miles and through milford center on a friday afternoon and didn't have any problems. Just put yo hazards on and go for it
                          vickie valencord couldn't fix it?
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                            vickie valencord couldn't fix it?
                            she was too busy s'in d.
                            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Wait...it's a VW. Just light it on fire where it sits and then you won't have to worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X