No announcement yet.

Whoever invented these needs to die...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoever invented these needs to die...

The less common is the TORX type screw. These can be recognized by the six pointed star shaped slot in the screw head. TORX screws provide significantly more torque than slotted or Phillips head screws, as they have more points of contact and were specifically designed to keep the driver from slipping.

I mean seriously WTF?!?!?!?! designed to keep the driver from sleeping???? all the fucking driver does is slip! and the worst part is, is that its not the screws that get stripped....its the fucking drivers that do. so by your second or third time of use ya gotta go by a new set of drivers!

I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

1) The driver you are using isn't the right size if it keeps stripping.

2) When you do get the right size, make sure they are good quality, if not, they are the softest, shittiest metal they can get and have the same strength as aluminum.

3) USE HEAT. If they do not come lose, then heat the screw up and then apply torque to loosen.

4) When tightening, do not over tighten. They are Torx for a reason. When you crank one of those babies down, it is pretty much not going anywhere fast.

5) They work excellent on Firearm Applications. I wish they were used more often then slot heads or Phillips heads.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
      1) The driver you are using isn't the right size if it keeps stripping.

2) When you do get the right size, make sure they are good quality if not, they are the softest, shittiest metal they can get and have the same strength as aluminum.

3) USE HEAT. If they do not come lose, then heat the screw up and then apply torque.

4) They work excellent on Firearm Applications. I wish they were used more often then slot heads or Phillips heads.

x2 on the first 3 points.....dont really deal with guns so i cant comment on the fourth point. but will take phils word for it
      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
      didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
      Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
      he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
      Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
      i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

maybe they should be used for firearms but not for license plate phil, not for license plates!
        I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

You know what is also great about them?

Since the torx recess is more or less centered on the head, they are really easy to drill out when they are seized in a part.
          sigpic

Comment

you need a fire wrench
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

i guess fred and i are the only two who hate them huh? why not just use a hex bolt? they are different than phillips or flat head and are less annoying

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                you need a fire wrench
                i think you are on to something there

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
                  i guess fred and i are the only two who hate them huh? why not just use a hex bolt? they are different than phillips or flat head and are less annoying
                  I'll join the hate parade.

Comment

all we use on Aircraft. Cant tell you how many of those mother fuckers i had to drill out and use and EZ out to remove. Fucking crew chiefs strip em out all the time

Comment

i would agree more if i was called to enjoy sweet sweet wings and beer
                      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                      didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                      Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                      he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                      Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                      i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

i hate torx with a passion. damn them all to hell
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Actually, no, I just feel like being the common objector in this case.

Yes, in firearm applications they work and they work extremely well, but in vehicle applications they are in fact unnecessary in the most extreme way possible.

It depends on the size and the application for me. I use them specifically when mounting a scope and rings on a rifle, if not torx then normal recessed hex heads because you can get a solid hold on even the smallest screw.

But a License plate? I've seen plates held on by wood screws and rivets. People use whatever they have in their 'junk box'.
                          sigpic

Comment

I also hate them

Comment

yeah dude seriously, half my fucking rig is held together with sheet rock screws lol, fuck torx.

ryan there was no wings just beer and fixing power steering for the 4th time
                              i call u next time lol

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Working...
                              X