• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gun ?'s

Want a new "fun gun" (rife)

here is what i've been thinking about getting:

1) ar-15 (what brand and config/style)?

2) ruger sr-556 (sexy, but $$$ also dont no much about the round)

3) ruger mini-14 (cheap ar fun?)

4) marlin 1894 lever action (i cant find one in the cal. that i want.. 45 colt or 357)
    all i can find are 44 mag, or 1895 big bore varients 30-30 ect... i almost got a 30-30 yesterday but i didnt want to make an impulse buy. what does everyone think about a 30-30 lever action?

so... what and why? I went to the gun store yesterday, and i was lost, i couldnt make up my mind. lol
    Last edited by grundlepunch; 10-25-2009, 03:38 PM.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

AR before they put a more broad and/or permanent ban on them.

Comment

I like my AR, and a Mini 14 would be sweet too. Not to familair with lever actions but Phil will chime in and tell you to get one Im sure
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by XJFez View Post
        AR before they put a more broad and/or permanent ban on them.
        skeptical of that
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

hermmm....

Comment

I've always wanted a mini 14 but in wood. Not sucha big fan of the tactical in that gun.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
              I've always wanted a mini 14 but in wood. Not sucha big fan of the tactical in that gun.
              yeah i just pulled a pic. the woods are cool to, and much cheaper. if i got a mini 14 i would put a scope on it and set it up for "varmit" hunting where as the AR/ruger 556 would be set up for tactical

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                hermmm....

- Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

How about a M1A:

Springfield M1A SOCOM II

You're a ___________

Comment

reasoning behind m1a?

im taking its a .308? cost to shoot over a .223?

also those are $2,300
                    Last edited by grundlepunch; 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

M1A is more reliable.

Has greater range.

7.62 vs. 5.56

Does more damage per shot w/equivalent equivalent accuracy.

However, it is roughly 2 pounds heaver than the AR-15.

And the sniper rifle version is
                      You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post

also those are $2,300
                        Yeah it is expensive, and the ammo is more expensive too.

I can dream....
                        You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          que?

Comment

Originally posted by Danksters View Post
                            Yeah it is expensive, and the ammo is more expensive too.

I can dream....
                            yeah, thats more then i want to blow on a rife right now, and im not looking for stopping power with this gun.

if i get a .308 its going to be a deer gun (a ruger)

Comment

Marlin 1894C or AR15 - but not the Ruger SR556

Marlin Leveractions are the best, either in 44 or 357, ammo is cheap and readily availible at almost any gun store. I swear by my Marlins - they are no AR15s but they get the job done, they are simple and they work. The Marlin 30-30 has stood the test of time as one of this countries greatest hunting rifles. The design is over 100 years old, and the Marlin leveraction is still the most robust on the market, and made in CT, too.

The problem with the Ruger SR556 is that is uses a piston, while this is an actual improvement in terms of how the weapon functions, you are now adding more parts and creating more problems to a platform that already has a reputation for accuracy and reliability.

Ruger Mini-14s are great, I have one, but I don't shoot it and I don't really plan on ever shooting it. The sights sucks, the action isn't great, magazines are expensive and hi-capacity magazines are finicky, and when you bolt shit onto it, it looks stupid.

In terms of the AR15 - Get a flattop carbine or better yet, build one. Rock River, Stag, DPMS, Colt, Yankee Hill and CMMG are the ARs that are widely know and make great parts. If you can build an Axle, you can build an AR15. It really is that simple and when you build it, you know the gun inside and out. If something goes wrong, you can easily identify the problem and solve it. With the Flattop carbine you can use almost any sight you want, iron sights, scopes etc.

Avoid the M14 / M1A platform for now. Yes you can dream all you want, but you'll be spending $1300 on a basic bare minimum firearms where as for $1300 you can build yourself a great AR15 and still have money left over to shoot it.

I've build 3 so far and I plan on building another in the distant future.

Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 10-25-2009, 06:18 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X