for those of you with computer knowlege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for those of you with computer knowlege

im on my laptop right now because my desktop computer wont turn on... kindof.

i was watching a movie on my computer yesterday and when the movie was over i went out into the kitchen for a little while then when i came back the screen was black and the computer was unresponsive. i tried shutting it off and turning it back on and nothing worked so i just powered it down in the hopes that it just needed to cool down before restarting. tried it again later. nothing. kept trying it and got it to bring up the "would you like to start in safe mode" list thing. so i selected last known configuration that worked the first time, and the second time i tried normal and neither worked. also i can get it to shut down by holding in the power button. but if i unplug it and it shuts off, when i plug it back in it powers up by istelf. i opened the case and checked all the connections and everything looks good. anyone have any idea what the hell happened to this thing? any help is greatly appreciated i can barely do anything on this laptop cause its such a piece. i really need my desktop back. HELP ME!!!!!
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Boot from Windows CD and try to repair. Sounds like it could be a failure in your HD or mobo, which means bad news.
    You're a ___________

Comment

jesus, i gotta see if i can find one. i was thinking possible motherboard issue, if i swap my hd and ram into another Dimension i have you think itll work with that mb?

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
        jesus, i gotta see if i can find one. i was thinking possible motherboard issue, if i swap my hd and ram into another Dimension i have you think itll work with that mb?
        if its the same generation, yes. HD for sure will work in 90% of machines.

Comment

IMd
          Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

sounds like you just have some corrupt files on the hard drive. If a repair doesnt do it, just bring it up in safe mode, save what you can and reinstall windows. Its looking for a file thats been modified and its not finding it more then likly.

if you use ie, export your fav's, and if you use outlook move everything to a .pst
            Originally posted by gmc4cw
            if someone can look at your rig and still tell what it was, then you have a long way to go before its destroyed. if you continue to wheel it after said destruction then you are truely special. :shock:

Comment

This same thing happened to my Computer last night and now I have to use my brothers. The only difference is mine will not go into safe mode instead it just goes to a blank blue screen. =[
              99 XJ 4.5" Long Arms & 32x11.5 KM2's

Comment

my desktop did the same thing, then it finally wouldnt do anything besides loading the very first screen. My hard drive failed. Cost me $40 for a new desktop hard drive with next day shipping for free (newegg.com). Laptop hard drives may be a little harder to install and more expensive, but i'd look into that. Beats buying a new computer. just be away if you put in a new hard drive, before installed any OS your going to have to unplug any card reader's your computer may have or else it wont correctly assign the new hard drive the letter " c:/" and when you go to install updared drivers you'll run into problems. I love my new setup. brand new hard drive without all the junk programs i never used on it, no more vista ( downloaded windows xp torrent and created an .iso of it on a cd) .

ps , if you need a windows xp cd for new hard drive , I can make a copy of mine or theres someone else on here with an actual copy of xp you could possible borrow.
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

mine doesnt do anything now, it pretty much just powers on and nothing comes on the screen. is it possible the video card failed? that was one of the suggestions my two managers had who have a bit of computer building experience and i talked to them at two different times.

Comment

You had picture the first time it fucked up though, right?
                    If it went straight to black screen and then is doing what you now describe, I see that being a possibility. I can find some diagnostics discs to run.
                    Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Buy a Mac
                      /thread

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                        You had picture the first time it fucked up though, right?
                        If it went straight to black screen and then is doing what you now describe, I see that being a possibility. I can find some diagnostics discs to run.
                        not really, it only brought up the initial loading screen and the starting option screen twice and all the other times it had no output at all. never got to the desktop any of those times

Comment

just opened the computer in process of a diagnostic and found all the capacitors on the video card are blown out... i think i found my problem

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
                            just opened the computer in process of a diagnostic and found all the capacitors on the video card are blown out... i think i found my problem
                            i was going to say that if ti was a mobo or power supply issue the light on the front of the computer would be amber. glad you found the problem
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

SUCCESS!!! im back on my desktop after an upgrade to an ATI Radeon HD3650 and a new 400 watt power supply

Comment

Working...
                              X