Doorless in CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doorless in CT

This is good news to me, I don't know about anyone else here because it seems everyone who wants to drive doorless does. I was pulled over June 26th and I got a warning and the cops made me go straight home and throw the doors on. I was infuriated because I knew it was legal.

Well a month later I e-mail the state police asking about the legality of the issue, and I get no response a week later. So I call, and the guy told me it is not legal, and I have to look it up myself to see. I told him that I didn't find it and he said it's in there and ended the conversation. So I didn't drive doorless all summer. Well I finally got an e-mail from the state police today, about three months later.

Dear Mr. Strasser:

This correspondence is in response to your recent request for information in regard to operating a Jeep Cherokee with its doors removed.

In the situation you describe this would be legal. However there are many exceptions and exclusions to motor vehicle laws so assure yourself by always checking before engaging in questionable vehicle operation as you have in this case.

I do apologize for the delay in response to your inquiry. I hope you find the information helpful.

Sincerely,

Lieutenant J. Paul Kenefick #035

So I'm pretty excited to say the least, I'll be going without the doors as much as possible now carrying this letter in the glove-box haha.
    -Matt
    Facebook

Originally posted by XJcrazy00 View Post
    This is good news to me, I don't know about anyone else here because it seems everyone who wants to drive doorless does. I was pulled over June 26th and I got a warning and the cops made me go straight home and throw the doors on. I was infuriated because I knew it was legal.

Well a month later I e-mail the state police asking about the legality of the issue, and I get no response a week later. So I call, and the guy told me it is not legal, and I have to look it up myself to see. I told him that I didn't find it and he said it's in there and ended the conversation. So I didn't drive doorless all summer. Well I finally got an e-mail from the state police today, about three months later.

So I'm pretty excited to say the least, I'll be going without the doors as much as possible now carrying this letter in the glove-box haha.
    yay for doorless xj's! i was told the same thing about ma/ri by a good friend of mine (the chief of police in my town) haha. he told me its legal as long as you wear your seatbelt and if i ever run into any problems to let him know and he will take care of it
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

yup its legal.... pretty much any lawbook coulda told you that but you have to becareful since the car wasn't designed to do so you can still get a ticket if the cop decides he wants to give you one

Comment

Originally posted by XJtheXtremeJeep View Post
        yup its legal.... pretty much any lawbook coulda told you that but you have to becareful since the car wasn't designed to do so you can still get a ticket if the cop decides he wants to give you one
        I read section 14 (motor vehicle code) so many times this summer and came up with nothing. So yeah I figured I was right, but now that I have a cop telling me this it's great news.
        -Matt
        Facebook

Comment

yeah, technically a cop could say its unsafe be cause it wasnt originally designed to be ran doorless but many cops don't know that they cant etc anyways

Comment

saving this
            I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

you should make copies of the letter, so all of us can carry one just in case a local pd decides to be indifferent
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I wish I had the part I sent to the police, but it was on their site on a form. I can't get it back. But the officer used enough detail when he responded to let another officer know what he was talking about.
                -Matt
                Facebook

Comment

i drive doorless all the time
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Wrangler = designed for doorless.

Comment

Originally posted by 04WranglerX View Post
                      Wrangler = designed for doorless.
                      i can go more doorless than you

helps i go offroad too
                      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                      Originally posted by DizzDizz
                      aliens probed my husband

Comment

im still only uni-doorless

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                          im still only uni-doorless
                          fuckin a d00d

get on that
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                            i can go more doorless than you

helps i go offroad too
                            doorless this weekend wooooooooo
                            mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                            2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                            and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
                              doorless this weekend wooooooooo
                              kinda default in that rig
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X